Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Recommend Removing Engine Cover for Oil Change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/recommend-removing-engine-cover-for-oil-change-53637.html)

BarryB 01-26-2013 10:07 PM

Recommend Removing Engine Cover for Oil Change

2 Attachment(s)
Look what I found during my second oil change this morning.

Matterhorn 01-27-2013 09:41 AM

Re: Recommend Removing Engine Cover for Oil Change

Birds nest?

BarryB 01-27-2013 10:03 AM

Nope. Teeth marks on engine cover seem more rodent like. Lucky it did not go after the engine electrical.

AAAA 01-27-2013 11:04 AM

Mice like to nest in warm protected areas in the fall. This had been an issue with car engines since before we were born. Yes, you are lucky they did not chew wires. I had it happen to my central A/C in my house.

Gary GC 01-28-2013 03:30 PM

If you park inside a garage, you probably need to look into some kind of pest control. Outside, there is not a lot you can do since mice are fairly resourceful in getting into the engine compartment.

Did you by chance notice whether or not the cover was making a wear mark on the top front of the plastic plenum on the left side of the engine? As you face the car.

Mine is, not too bad but would like to see about what I can do to prevent it. I put on some stickly foam pieces but they just moved around due to the heat. I guess the glue won't allow it to stick.

BarryB 01-28-2013 08:54 PM

I do park in a closed garage at night, but have multiple types of traps around. I had the Jeep out in a very remote wooded area for about a week during Thanksgiving - that is when I think it occurred. As for the wear, I will check it out but had not noticed it.

suzieque 01-28-2013 10:59 PM

had the same thing happen to a car that I only drove in the summer, parked in a garage, checked the oil in the spring and there was the nest when i popped the hood open.

mattlago 01-31-2013 10:42 AM

In AZ we have packrats (never heard of them till i moved here). Have cost me over $500 in wiring on wifes car. We park outside and have read a bunch about what to do online. I dont know if its a coincidence or not, but the last thing that seemed to work was spraying bleach all over the driveway to eliminate the smell for them going back. My father lives in midwest and he swears by stuffing a bag of mothballs in engine compartment.

kkreit01 01-31-2013 04:13 PM

I hate rodents. I typically catch a couple mice in the garage in the Fall. They haven't done any damage that I know of.

AAAA 01-31-2013 08:18 PM

I have mouse poison bars in the corners of the garage and out buildings.