Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   drilling a hole in res (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/drilling-a-hole-in-res-53651.html)

Rpandher 01-27-2013 01:55 AM

drilling a hole in res

would drilling a hole in the res make the exhaust louder, or is there a way i can gut out the res? new to this..

kennzz05 01-27-2013 02:41 AM

Re: drilling a hole in res

have it removed and a piece of straight pipe welded in. now with that being said what engine are you talking about? may wanna consider entire exhaust system

i removed the resos on my srt8 and it did make it louder im happy with it

phisch 01-27-2013 10:29 AM

I would think that it would make your exhaust have that "pffffffffft pffffffffft" exhaust leak sound. I experienced this on my old WRX when a borla band clamp came loose. Just little puffs of air escaping. It's not a cool sound.

SMG1 01-27-2013 10:39 AM

Yeah, that's called an exhaust leak :D As others have said, just go to a local muffler shop and have a straight pipe welded in. Just be warned that sometimes vehicles sound better with the resonators than without.

Rpandher 01-27-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 748414)
have it removed and a piece of straight pipe welded in. now with that being said what engine are you talking about? may wanna consider entire exhaust system

i removed the resos on my srt8 and it did make it louder im happy with it

it is a 5.7 hemi

Rpandher 01-27-2013 12:53 PM

what if i kept the res n just changed the muffler to a less restrictive one , like magnaflow or something, would that make any difference. i know the corsa exhaust has some good reviews

phisch 01-27-2013 04:32 PM

Have you seen the Gibson axel back exhaust that people are asking about in this forum? Give it a look. I think I'm going to buy it for my HEMI.

ColdCase 01-27-2013 04:47 PM

Rpandher, its not that simple on a WK2. There has been a lot of discussion threads here to look back on as this topic comes up often. Plenty of sound clips can be found with some digging.

How do you feel about drone? In your driving style, does MDS kick in often and for any length of time. The less expensive solutions typically sound crappy and, if you do a lot of highway, the drone could drive you nutty. Integrated systems like Corsa or Mopar seem to have solved the drone thing.

Sound is subjective, replacing the resonators with straight pipe sounds like crap to me, axle backs are better but still no joy, but perhaps you are not so picky.

kkreit01 01-29-2013 10:47 AM

All OE piping is stainless. If your on a budget, keep it, and start replacing mufflers/resonators until you achieve your desired sound.

CPT2010 01-29-2013 11:01 AM

cut the resonator off and bring it to the junk yard. you'll get like 20-30$ for it.

binford6100 02-09-2013 10:11 AM

I had the Dynomax cat-back installed last summer and have tried to learn to "live with it" ever since. Others may disagree, but I think the drone is unacceptable. As if to add insult to injury, the exhaust tips are almost completely covered in rust!

I had the foresight to keep the factory system which may just end up back on the Jeep. My original plan was to go with the Borla since it's gotten favorable reviews here and on other forums, but I opted to take the less expensive route. I guess the old adage is true: you get what you pay for.

So, I'm going back to my original plan and give the Borla system a try. I'll wait until spring by which time I'll be ready to remove the Drone-o-Max.

Jeep_addicted 02-09-2013 01:42 PM

On the WK2 the resonators are at he back and the are already hollowed out they are empty shells with chambers.

to change the sound you have limited options:
  • Add resonated tips
  • cut the resonators off and add straight pipe
  • Change the resonators
  • Replace the mufflers
  • remove the mufflers
Anyhting thing after that and you might as well just buy a tuned aftermarket system.