Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Dash Peeling Off (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/dash-peeling-off-53676.html)

jefftaco 01-27-2013 11:18 AM

Dash Peeling Off
 
Hey guys. First post so forgive me if I haven't found a thread that's related...I noticed a weird film on the glove box door oand decided to Vinylex the interior when I got home. In the process one specific spot on the glove box door had the finish come right off. Looks terrible but the rest of the car looks great. I've been using Vinylex for years on several different cars and I've NEVER had an issue. Please tell me this sort of thing would be covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I took it to the dealer and he told me to come back on Monday and the service manager would tell me what I should clean it with instead... Not the answer I was looking for...

SW03ES 01-27-2013 11:48 AM

Re: Dash Peeling Off
 
There had to be some issue with the plastic on the glovebox door to begin with, Vinyllex is very mild.

The good news is the glovebox door is easily replaceable, shouldn't be too terribly expensive. Since you told the dealer you had used a cleaner on it they're not going to honor the warranty.

jefftaco 01-27-2013 12:20 PM

Re: Dash Peeling Off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 748582)
There had to be some issue with the plastic on the glovebox door to begin with, Vinyllex is very mild.

The good news is the glovebox door is easily replaceable, shouldn't be too terribly expensive. Since you told the dealer you had used a cleaner on it they're not going to honor the warranty.

Well Crap. :mad: I guess I lie to the service manager when i go back in? Any idea where I could find a replacement :confused: I've only found one site online and it was just shy of $200. Wonder if i could use some sort of stain on it?

bill_de 01-27-2013 12:28 PM

Re: Dash Peeling Off
 
Junk Yard.

Is this a brand new vehicle or have you had it awhile?

I'm wondering if the film you were cleaning wasn't something that was spilled, and it was the cause of the problem and not the cleaner.

If the car is fairly new they may just replace it, even if you tell the truth. :)



.

jefftaco 01-27-2013 02:06 PM

Re: Dash Peeling Off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 748603)
Junk Yard.

Is this a brand new vehicle or have you had it awhile?

I'm wondering if the film you were cleaning wasn't something that was spilled, and it was the cause of the problem and not the cleaner.

If the car is fairly new they may just replace it, even if you tell the truth. :)



.


2012 - I bought it used, but after getting the head cylinder replaced I had it for 3 days. I guess it could have been something on there already. It sat on their lot for 2.5 months before I bought it so maybe they did it!

FAUEE 01-27-2013 10:24 PM

Re: Dash Peeling Off
 
IMO they should have it replaced under warranty. You used a very popular and very mild cleaner. It's not like you used Hydrochloric acid on the thing.

Clearly the part was not cured correctly when it was manufactured, and it should be covered under the warranty. This is no different than if you washed the car with a mild car soap (Meguiar's Gold Class for example) and the paint fell off on a section of the hood. Clearly the surface they put on did not adhere correctly, and so they should fix it IMO.

Justal13 01-28-2013 03:47 PM

Re: Dash Peeling Off
 
I wonder if the original glove box cover had an issue, and the selling dealer tried to cover it up by a coating or quicky paint spray detail.

The part is molded plastic, and the same color all the way through. So this is very odd.

At least the part is easy to replace with a recycled part off eBay or your local salvage yard, or new from the dealer. Perhaps your dealer will replace or order the part at cost for you (I believe the part is not that expensive). Hopefully, you bought it from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer.

Another option is to get the Chrysler interior paint number, get a spray can of matching paint (see your dealer's body shop for info), remove the part from the GC and repaint the entire lid. If that does not work out, then get the $ replacement and you are only out the cost of the paint. I believe there are also some on-line automotive interior paint sources. Be forewarned however, surface preparation of the part to remove all traces of interior sprays (ie: Armorall, etc), tack clothing the surface and painting in a clean environment is paramount for a good finished product that will not peel off again. Or talk the dealer into their body-shop doing it (they will likely say the cost with labor of the replacement part is less than painting, so again insist on an OEM new replacement). It may be $200 list, but it is likely much less than 1/2 that list price for the dealer.

jefftaco 01-28-2013 03:50 PM

Re: Dash Peeling Off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 749516)
I wonder if the original glove box cover had an issue, and the selling dealer tried to cover it up by a coating or quicky paint spray detail.

The part is molded plastic, and the same color all the way through. So this is very odd.

At least the part is easy to replace with a recycled part off eBay or your local salvage yard, or new from the dealer. Perhaps your dealer will replace or order the part at cost for you (I believe the part is not that expensive). Hopefully, you bought it from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer.

Yes, thankfully I did get it from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer. Good idea on someone trying to cover it up. That would make sense since no other part of the interior did the same thing.

Justal13 01-28-2013 03:57 PM

Re: Dash Peeling Off
 
I wonder if the original owner installed something on the lid using double-stick tape, and removed it poorly when trading it in. Then the hired gun auto detailer (you always see them on the lot with their little van of tricks, dent wizard and touch-up paint spray guns - most dealers do not have inhouse body shops anymore and shop it out this way because is it cheap) touched it up.

Always the possibility that the part was molded improperly from the factory. They use a lot of recycled plastics nowadays, and if not blended properly can cause color variations like described. Trust me, the factory or their part's suppliers are not beyond trying to cover up stuff like this, even on the assembly line.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community