Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Disappointed In My New Bug Deflector (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/disappointed-in-my-new-bug-deflector-53743.html)

HThomure 01-28-2013 04:36 PM

Disappointed In My New Bug Deflector

I just got the new Mopar Bug Deflector (complete with Jeep logo) that I ordered. It seemed awfully inexpensive, but I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth, and it was the "official" Mopar deflector, so I went for it.

When I installed it, I found that it has apparently been drastically redesigned since I put one on my 2010. On my 2010, I actually drilled and screwed it into the underside of my hood, so no hardware showed. It looked really nice. This thing on my 2012 has pre-drilled holes right on the face of the guard where you put screws through to the metal brackets that clip to the hood.

This seems like a major step backward in design, to me. Who wants the hardware showing? But, I went ahead and installed it. What choice do I have? I really wanted this one. I like having the Jeep logo on there. Dumb or not, I like it (the logo, not the screws showing).

Anyway, I just wanted to rant and see if anyone else has similar feelings.

RageOfFury 01-28-2013 05:22 PM

Re: Disappointed In My New Bug Deflector

Did you get the black one or the (god awful) chrome one?

The black one on my mine has the screws on the front but you can barely notice them.

HThomure 01-28-2013 05:26 PM

LOL No, I got the smoked (black) one. And you're right, it's not like it screams at you. I guess maybe it's one of those things that I know it's there and it bothers me. But I still think it's a step backward in design.

RageOfFury 01-28-2013 05:29 PM

When I installed mine, I was looking for screw caps or something. Found none, checked the instructions and yup that's it, the screws remain exposed.

Hopefully they don't rust!

HThomure 01-28-2013 05:31 PM

Yeah. And the other thing was, it looked kinda flimsy. I used blue lock tite on all of my screws.

avalys 01-28-2013 06:03 PM

I guess they figured that, if you don't mind how dorky a bug deflector looks in the first place, you won't mind a little exposed hardware.

I tend to think of bug deflectors, mud flaps, and "bras" as the pocket protectors of the automotive world.

And yes, I have ruined both paint jobs and shirts.

:D

kkreit01 01-29-2013 10:20 AM

I agree. You should have viewed the online instructions, or searched first. I would never buy the Mopar bug shield. Typically, I like to stick with manufacturer accessories (Mopar in this case). However, several have been a flop (disappointment) with the WK2s. I don't like my nerf bars, nor mud flaps. On my previous ride (Aspen), they were perfect.

nachojeep 06-30-2013 12:22 PM

exposed hardware is a tradeoff for not needing to drill out your hood. The deflector comes with paint protecting plastic tabs so that you can always remove it later. If you drill your hood, you are stuck with it.

Mine is the tinted one and is not flimsy, dealer installed and looks great, even with screw heads showing.

bill_de 06-30-2013 01:13 PM

Would something like this work.

Amazon.com: Cruiser Accessories 82050 Screw Covers, Black: Automotive

berk483 06-30-2013 09:46 PM

I'd rather have it the way it is with hardware showing than have to drill into the underside of the hood...but that's just me.

Captain_Kirk 07-01-2013 08:54 AM

^^^yup, me too. I have no problem with my bug deflector. I like the look. To each his/her own.

peejym 07-01-2013 11:10 AM

Since I put on my "bug deflector" i run a much cleaner windshield , hence it's "functionality"

I always find it amusing when others put down or say bad things about something "they" don't like. maybe some people need to think and reflect before the write things for others to see, I don't know maybe like "not eveyone likes what I like or thinks how I think"?