Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Intermittent Gauge Cluster!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/intermittent-gauge-cluster-53754.html)

TJXJWJ 01-28-2013 07:56 PM

Intermittent Gauge Cluster!!!

Hey everyone! My wife's 09 Liberty has a very intermittent gauge cluster issue. It seems to only happen when it's wet out. Basically anything digital on the cluster goes out. No outside temp, no odometer, no idiot lights. Everything goes dark in the cluster. The Jeep still runs as normal. After it warms up (like if she leaves work, and stops at the store and then goes to leave) everything works as it should. It's garage kept, and never happens when she leaves in the morning. It's only ever happened after being parked outside on wet/rainy days. The cluster was replaced a little over a year ago (before we bought it). That didn't remedy the problem. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Intermittent electrical issues suck.

2005JGC 01-28-2013 10:18 PM

Re: Intermittent Gauge Cluster!!!

Honestly and this is a TOTAL shot in the dark, it kinda seems like a relay concern, considering it will work after restarting the car, I personally have seen more relays fail this way where it engages and closes the contacts but doesnt have a good connection, the engagement it gets a better contact and works. Next time it does it hop out and pop the hood and bang on the TIPM under the hood where there is at least one run start relay that feeds power to the cluster. I am not certain but this/these relays may be internal to the TIPM and require a new TIPM to repair.

I have seen numerous weird things caused by the TIPM's in these things. Not that I have seen this, I am just saying.

TJXJWJ 01-28-2013 10:27 PM

I'll try that next time it happens and I'm around...I know she's not getting out and doing it. Whatever the result, I'll report back. Thanks dude!

TJXJWJ 01-30-2013 08:31 AM

Well, I tried it this morning...she rolled into work and none of the digital items in the cluster were working. Turn signal indicators, headlamp/fog lamp indicators not working either. The lights actually work, but the indicator in the cluster didn't illuminate. No exterior temp, no odometer, no idiot lights. I tapped on everything, opened up the lid and tapped on every relay and fuse with the handle of a screwdriver and at no point did we get anything.

This morning she left the house (garaged) and it was working. 2 miles up the road in rainy, warm conditions, it stopped and everything disappeared and remained that way for the rest of her drive in to work. Again, the vehicle drives and acts completely normal...it's just those items that stop working for whatever reason. Any other suggestions?

Hacksaw 01-30-2013 09:10 AM

Isn't there a similar issue with WK's and the resolution is the multifunction stalk ? I also thought I read something about the ignition switch (not cylinder) causing similar issues.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

TJXJWJ 01-30-2013 11:11 AM

I've heard of ignition switches throwing CEL's, but not shutting down the cluster. Everything but the gauges die. It's wierd. I could see if the whole cluster would fail, but it doesn't.