Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Quadra-Trac I Hell (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/quadra-trac-i-hell-53763.html)

tdrought 01-28-2013 10:44 PM

Quadra-Trac I Hell

Hi all.

I just purchased a 2013 GC Altitude 3 days ago. I picked it out of the lot because a) I liked the look of the blacked out trim, B) Had a lot of the feautures I wanted, i.e. panorama sunroof, interior illumination, NAV, and C) I drive about 2200 miles a month, 50/50 city and highway and liked the MPG of the V6.

Didn't really research much of anything else, and haven't been near a 4x4 since owning a Wrangler back in the 90's. Now I'm finding out that this 4x4 is really AWD, and won't get me into any fun off-road adventures like my Wrangler did. I want to do some hill climbing, traverse smaller rock fields. Nothing ultra-hardcore.

What are my options that would be cost effective, meaning would not cost me $10K+, as it would probably be cheaper after this cost to bring this back as a used car and upgrade it to the Trailhawk they had on the lot. :eek:

I have no problems getting a second set of tires/rims for off-roading, and swap when needed. But, are there any conversions that can upgrade this thing . Heck, most of the Jeep Jamborees don't allow QT1's.

Help!!!!

mistadobalina 01-28-2013 11:44 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac I Hell

Didn't you notice the big hole in the console where the Selec Terrain/Low Range controls would be? Lol. You don't need a Trailhawk to get 4LO and tow hooks, skids. My Laredo X has it. The Off Road 1 pkg gives you the skids, hooks and Selec Terrain, 4LO.

tdrought 01-28-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistadobalina (Post 749906)
Didn't you notice the big hole in the console where the Selec Terrain/Low Range controls would be? Lol. You don't need a Trailhawk to get 4LO and tow hooks, skids. My Laredo X has it. The Off Road 1 pkg gives you the skids, hooks and Selec Terrain, 4LO.

Wonder how much it would cost for the dealer to drop in the Off-road 1 pkg into my Altitude?

Hacksaw 01-29-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdrought (Post 749911)
Wonder how much it would cost for the dealer to drop in the Off-road 1 pkg into my Altitude?

Best case scenario I would guess somewhere around the cost of the hit you would take trading it in...worst case right around the $10k you didn't want to spend...

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

tdrought 01-29-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 749920)
Best case scenario I would guess somewhere around the cost of the hit you would take trading it in...worst case right around the $10k you didn't want to spend...

Thats what I was thinking. Screw it. Lets see what a QT1 can do, and if I get stuck a lot (or even once), just be cheaper getting a modified CJ-7 or TJ rockclimber for the fun trips.

Save the wife some worries that I'm gonna roll this new Altitude.

But I will buy a second set of wheels, skid plates and tow hooks. I can just ride the treads down, then put the original rims in storage.

Hacksaw 01-29-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdrought (Post 749923)
Thats what I was thinking. Screw it. Lets see what a QT1 can do, and if I get stuck a lot (or even once), just be cheaper getting a modified CJ-7 or TJ rockclimber for the fun trips.

Save the wife some worries that I'm gonna roll this new Altitude.

But I will buy a second set of wheels, skid plates and tow hooks. I can just ride the treads down, then put the original rims in storage.

:thumbup:

kkreit01 01-29-2013 10:51 AM

Just get better tires, skid plates, tow hooks. You'll be fine. You'll still be able to go places Explorers can't :).

Tazz 06-26-2013 06:53 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread but...

How did it work out for you?

Kinda curious myself... bought mine not fully understanding what would be needed for the more basic high clearence trails (i.e. Death Valley stuff).

RageOfFury 06-28-2013 08:25 PM

Best plan is to trade in your Jeep and get one with ORA I or II

ColdCase 06-29-2013 05:40 AM

It is much more than a simple transfer case and drive shaft swap. Trade for the vehicle you want.