Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/non-hid-head-lights-fogs-53784.html)

turbospartan 01-29-2013 01:07 PM

Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

So after reading through a bunch of threads, most seem to be about converting from Non-HID to HID (either by using the OEM setup or using an aftermarket kit).

My question is - are there any regular Halogen bulbs that will change the "color" of my head lights without looking too rice-burner? I want just pure white, without any hint of yellow. I don't want blue. Or purple.

I've noticed driving in the mountains at night that the Halogen's in my Altitude are not very bright... so I'm hoping a new bulb type can help with the color (less yellow) and brightness. I came from an Audi with HID and moving to these Halogens was definitely a down-grade in visibility, but I have the Altitude and I want to keep the black insides.

I'd also like, if possible, to find a set of fog lights that would match the color of the head lights. I don't want "blue" or anything like that, just more like a pure white and for the fogs to look like the same color.

That said, I did read just about every thread on HIDs, LED fogs, head lights in general, etc. Did I miss the thread that would have this info?

Thanks in advance.

akimball 01-29-2013 01:15 PM

If you really want just a bulb replacment PIAA makes some really good bulbs they are expensive tho...

Honestly i think you should go with HID kits from Xenon Depot they are a vendor here and there are many options for colors if you dont like the blue tint. 4500k or 5k is the color i think you are looking for.

Jeep_addicted 01-29-2013 01:30 PM

Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

If you want to stick with halogen bulbs...
I had decent result using Sylvania silverstar ZXE bulbs.

Sorry I don't have any info on any good foglight bulbs

CPT2010 01-29-2013 01:54 PM

what year do you own?

turbospartan 01-29-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPT2010 (Post 750214)
what year do you own?

2012 Altitude.

I am not completely against an HID kit, but I want it to look 100% stock. No flickering, no codes on the dash, no fogging/condensation, no custom harnesses, no blue/purple tints so that when you're driving... people automatically know it isn't OEM.

The Audi world used to use a company called Hoen for the fogs, they have a line called "Xenonmatch" which were supposed to match up as close as possible to the different temperature colors.

turbospartan 10-11-2013 01:31 PM

Bumping this.

Can anyone confirm that the bulbs in a 2012 Altitude are as follows:

low beam: H11

high beam: 9005

fog: H11

If the above is correct, I could buy 4 of the same exact bulbs to replace my low beams and fogs.... right?

Also, is the wattage 55w? Same for all 3?

Thanks for any help.

Todd3.6 10-11-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbospartan (Post 908620)
Bumping this.

Can anyone confirm that the bulbs in a 2012 Altitude are as follows:

low beam: H11

high beam: 9005

fog: H11

If the above is correct, I could buy 4 of the same exact bulbs to replace my low beams and fogs.... right?

Also, is the wattage 55w? Same for all 3?

Thanks for any help.

Low beam and high beam, you are correct.

Fogs are not H11 on the 2012.
PSX24W - 5202 [24 watt]

There's really no good alternative except to replace them.
Before I found/bought the JW Speaker LED lights, I was going to look into the Subaru fog lights as they were H11 OEM fog lights and the mount looked pretty similar, but I didn't get a chance to stop at the local Subaru dealer to compare them.

Now that I have the JW Speaker fog lights, everything else is second best. :D

jeep5.7 10-12-2013 07:08 PM

imo you should go with hid from xenon depot,get the extreme kit 4300k fot the headlights,145 150$
volt kit for the fogs,a lil over 100 fot that,great customer service and a reliable product
I have a 2014 gc and I put extreme in the headlights and volt kit in the fogs,110% better light output with no blue at all,actually looks just like audis bmw benz imo

BF07 10-12-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 750197)
If you want to stick with halogen bulbs...
I had decent result using Sylvania silverstar ZXE bulbs.

Sorry I don't have any info on any good foglight bulbs

+1. You should be able to pick up a set of Sylvania Silverstar bulbs at any local Auto Zone or O'Reily's. Look for 5000k and that should give you the white you're looking for.

Jeep_addicted 10-12-2013 07:27 PM

Turbospartan

You can't go wrong with some SRT bi-xenon headlights. To keep you blacked out headlight but get the HID you are used to from your previous ride.

I was in denial I thought I could live with the Halogens with upgraded bulbs but coming from a touareg with bi-xenons and a B5 Passat with E-Code HIDs there is no way I could stay with halogens.

Wake27 10-12-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 909481)
Turbospartan

You can't go wrong with some SRT bi-xenon headlights. To keep you blacked out headlight but get the HID you are used to from your previous ride.

I was in denial I thought I could live with the Halogens with upgraded bulbs but coming from a touareg with bi-xenons and a B5 Passat with E-Code HIDs there is no way I could stay with halogens.

That must've involved a new harness and everything right?

turbospartan 10-14-2013 10:26 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I really want HID's (I think it is stupid they didn't put them in the Altitude, especially when the overseas Altitudes [they are called something else] got HID's, carbon fiber trim pieces, and better seats).

I just don't want a kit that looks non-OEM. Don't want blue looking lights. Don't want flickering. Don't want a half-ass harness that throws codes on the dash, etc.

Not sure if the xenondepot kits do any of the above, but I was under the assumption that they aren't 100% without issue. Was that assumption wrong?