Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   TPMS Losing Signal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/tpms-losing-signal-53810.html)

buckeye55 01-29-2013 05:58 PM

TPMS Losing Signal

First time posting, hoping someone has dealt with this before and can offer a solution. 2007 Limited Grand Cherokee with Premium TPMS (displays the actual tire pressure for each wheel). I've had 2 new (OEM) TPMS replaced on my front 2 wheels ( new tires as well ). The sensors were reprogrammed by the dealer prior to leaving. After driving approximately 15 minutes at highway speed the TPMS warning light appeared and the tire pressure registered "----". The warning light disappeared after ~5 minutes and the TPMS registered a PSI again. This happened twice on an hour drive.

I took the car back in and had them reprogrammed again as the tech stated the computer didn't have the correct sensor ID and it should be good now. Again, after driving for 15 minutes the TPMS monitor showed "----" as the tire pressure and then regained a signal a few minutes later (and dropped it again).

Again, took it back to the dealer. In an effort to eliminate a transponder failure or sensor failure we moved the wheels with the new sensors to the rear and the wheels with the original sensors to the front. Under this assumption, if the sensors flatlined again, it's a problem with the sensor and not the transponders.

The new sensors flatlined again (now the rear wheels). The dealer then replaced those sensors with 2 additional sensors and it's still losing the signal. To clarify. When they flatline, they don't register for 10 minutes or so and then are picked back up. So they don't permanently drop them.

According to the Dealership, these are the correct sensors. They are a little stumped at this point and have my car for a day to diagnose it. There is obviously a communication failure with the sensors. Any idea what would cause this? Compatibility issue? Fixes?

Any suggestions or recommended solutions are appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!

Scottina06 01-30-2013 12:47 AM

Re: TPMS Losing Signal

so they do this continually?

buckeye55 01-30-2013 09:03 AM

Yes, they do it continually. On an hour long trip they will drop and regain the signal 2, maybe 3 times.

To give a little more history. I did buy an after market TPMS and had it installed prior to this and it never registered a signal. I'm not sure if this is significant or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Also, it's usually only the one wheel that drops the signal, not both. However, the other one has dropped the signal before as well ( just not as consistently as the other ).

buckeye55 01-30-2013 09:56 AM

I found a posting on another forum/thread that isolated the problem to a phone charger emitting interference with the TPMS signal. The dealer is researching this now for me.

However, as stated in the original post, the issue followed the wheels. If it was an interference issue wouldn't it be isolated to the same position and not follow the sensor?

Anyone know detailed information about the new sensors to confirm or deny this?

buckeye55 01-30-2013 04:07 PM

UPDATE - got the car back from the dealer today. Dealer said that they reprogrammed all the sensors again. Stating that it was done differently from last time and that this should fix it. TPMS warning light came on again after a short drive on the highway.

Very frustrating. Removed/turned off all electronics that may cause interference.

Does anyone have any experience with this that might lead to a solution? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Break20 02-20-2013 09:17 AM

I have a bad TPMS so I had it replaced with a regular stem for the time being while I was having a tire patched. I'm about to purchase a new TPMS for that tire and was wondering if it needs to be programmed by the dealer? I don't have the premium TPMS system. I'd rather save some money and have my local tire shop replace it.