Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Overland... Standard Sunroof... How? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-overland-standard-sunroof-how-53821.html)

Snipe315 01-29-2013 08:46 PM

2014 Overland... Standard Sunroof... How?

I've currently got a 2012 Overland with the rear entertainment system, which replaced the panoramic sunroof with a standard one. This is exactly what I wanted since I prefer the standard sunroof over the panoramic one (less things to go wrong or wear out).

But I see that on the 2014, the rear seat entertainment system will be mounted in the headrests, which means it won't require the removal of the panoramic sunroof.

So... how do I get a standard sunroof instead of the panoramic one?!? :confused:

Will this even be possible on the 2014 Overland model?

Thanks In Advance

PMD G8 01-29-2013 08:47 PM

Re: 2014 Overland... Standard Sunroof... How?

I do not believe that a "standard" style sunroof is available.

FAUEE 01-29-2013 09:04 PM

It wouldn't surprise me to see it offered on lower end models, as the standard sunroof is just a carryover from the Durango. It wouldn't surprise me to see it not available on Overlands and Limiteds however.

The Pano roof is great though, really opens the interior up a lot.

PMD G8 01-29-2013 11:20 PM

Yup, you're right. Looking at the Ordering info page Milous has the Single pane roof as an option for just the Laredo and Limited models. I believe the Dual Pane is then standard on the overland and summit.

Snipe315 01-30-2013 01:03 AM

DARN!

I was afraid of that. :mad:

I guess the pano roof is my only option. I hate the idea of having to use a motor and electronics to just open up the sunshade portion of the sunroof to let a little light in. I do that on my standard sunroof almost everyday the sun is out (Southern California = lots of sunny days). I'll be worried about the motor or electronics failing after several hundred or several thousand openings & closings. :(

scooterha 01-30-2013 04:45 AM

I'd worry more about QL than the pano, grab an extended warranty and put your mind at ease.

bigrboland 01-30-2013 05:54 AM

If your worry is just too much to bear, you could always stay with your 2012....

JEEP_JUNKIE 01-30-2013 10:58 AM

I worry the pano roof will start to rattle .... I hate that kind of stuff. I'd love to have the standard roof as the pano doesn't provide the driver with anything.

AAAA 01-30-2013 12:51 PM

30,000 miles and pano continues to operate perfectly and I have it open almost constantly 8 months out of the year. Sunshade has been used twice in 2 years! I leave it fully open... brightens the interior.

rovinrail 01-30-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipe315 (Post 750661)
DARN!

I was afraid of that. :mad:

I guess the pano roof is my only option. I hate the idea of having to use a motor and electronics to just open up the sunshade portion of the sunroof to let a little light in. I do that on my standard sunroof almost everyday the sun is out (Southern California = lots of sunny days). I'll be worried about the motor or electronics failing after several hundred or several thousand openings & closings. :(

If you're concerned about that-- the shade can also stop half-way, doesn't have to stay all the way open.

Snipe315 01-30-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovinrail (Post 750918)
If you're concerned about that-- the shade can also stop half-way, doesn't have to stay all the way open.

Yeah, I understand and know that.

My concern is/was the constant & repeated opening & closing of the sunshade. For example, I opened & closed my sunshade 4 times yesterday. The entire sunroof was opened twice. Today I'll be opening my sunshade and possibly the entire sunroof when I go to lunch (once going & once coming = 2 times). I have no worries about opening & closing my current sunshade since no electronics or motors are involved and there is almost nothing to wear out.

I'm probably concerned over nothing. I just like the "kiss" principle of my current setup more.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

gc4x4 01-30-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipe315 (Post 751050)
Yeah, I understand and know that.

My concern is/was the constant & repeated opening & closing of the sunshade. For example, I opened & closed my sunshade 4 times yesterday. The entire sunroof was opened twice. Today I'll be opening my sunshade and possibly the entire sunroof when I go to lunch (once going & once coming = 2 times). I have no worries about opening & closing my current sunshade since no electronics or motors are involved and there is almost nothing to wear out.

I'm probably concerned over nothing. I just like the "kiss" principle of my current setup more.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

After the warranty, i think everyone should setup a contingency budget just in case something breaks or wears out, all vehicles will need repair eventually. I wouldn't be worried at all and just drive your vehicles and then when something breaks,then deal with it when the time comes.

I have the pano sunroof on my limited and i love it so much the sunshade will never be closed on it...:cool: