Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Laredo X Guys - HD brake upgrade from STD?

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Jeep_addicted 
#1 ·
I have a Laredo X with STD duty brakes; my wife has a limited with the HD brakes and I can tell you that there is a big difference.

Has anyone looked into upgrading to HD brakes? It would seem that other than the pads, calipers and rotors that would be all that is needed? Maybe a caliper bracket?

The hydraulics share the same part numbers, just the items listed above are different.

My question then is from a computer standpoint if anything would have to be changed?

I will be up for a brake job at some point, seems to make sense to spend some extra money and get the benefit of HD brakes.

#4 · (Edited)
There was a thread discussing this, oh a year or so ago, including some photos.

All V8s have HD brakes.

HD brakes have a larger diameter front rotor and a vented rear rotor. Look through the wheel at the edge of the rear rotor and if you see slots for cooling, you have HD brakes, if you see a solid rotor you have SD brakes.

Dunno about 2014 and all the export variations, but there is only two USA brake packages, SD and HD. The slotted rear rotor is the easiest way to tell short of a build sheet.

#6 · (Edited)
The 2011 Laredo X only had the option of GVW Rating of 6500lbs; (i.e. the Limited ) has the option of either 6500lb GVW or 6800 lb GVW.

That's where the HD brakes come in; if you have an "X" and think you have HD brakes because you have a 5.7L with trailer group you may want to check your build sheet.

I pulled the build sheets on my X and my wife's Limited and the brake codes for STD and HD were shown.

I just checked the build online and it's still the same even with the 2013's.

I think that if you have a 5.7L with trailer group you SHOULD have HD brakes but I think Jeep kind of screwed that up.

I found out because after we bought the Limited I bought my X and was surprised that the brakes felt different. I took it in thinking there was a problem; they pulled the build sheets to confirm but explained that the X's didn't have an option for HD brakes.

So this leads me back to my original question of STD to HD. I think it's a easy parts swap but I'm uncertain if it will end up throwing codes if ECM isn't flashed.

It's seems that if one wants to spend the money you can have a heated steering wheel and all the other options but the flash is likely the real deal breaker in the end.

#7 · (Edited)
#8 · (Edited)
The hd brake swap has been talked about before...

Parts needed

New front rotors x2
New caliper adapters x2

New rear calipers 1x left , 1x right (they are side specific and have a core charge)
New caliper adapters x2
New brake rotors x2

This is completely a mechanical swap and will not throw any codes

From a discount vendor these parts hit the $500 mark not including the brake pads which could cost an additional $200

You can wait until you need pads or just do it now...

Note:

The front is the easiest to upgrade since the rears need to be bled since the caliper have to be changed

You can always just do the front and see what improvement you get.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info, I hadn't thought about just doing the front. I wondered if it would cause a braking issue by having the front more powerful then the rear. Proportionally of course

#10 · (Edited)
Its not so much the power, its the cooling/fade. Larger and ventilated rotors dissipate heat better and therefore stay cooler longer under the same abuse. Streets brakes work best when warm not hot, unlike strip brakes which like it hot.

Just to clear one thing that I had been mistaken about. Laredos don't seem to have HD brakes regardless of engine. HD brakes are on Limited and Overland V8s only.

#11 ·
Correct on No HD brakes on Laredo X's regardless of engine.

I can tell you that when I drive my wife's Limited I can feel the difference between HD and my STD brakes. It is noticeable under normal driving conditions.

#12 ·
Reactions: Jeep_addicted
#15 ·
I thought I would bring this thread back and ask someone if they understand the whole 6500 vs 6800GVW and the HD brakes. Im confused as to the brake difference as they both have the same towing and payload capacities.

Here is a better explanation of the difference between Standard and HD brakes.

Standard brakes:
require 17" minimum for brake clearance

330mm diameter rotors
Vented front rotors
Solid rear rotors

Heavy Duty/European Anti-lock brakes
require 18" minimum for brake clearance

350mm diameter rotors
Vented front rotors
Vented rear rotor

The improved feel of the HD brakes come from the increase in size yeilding more mechanical leverage.

The additional size also aids in cooling since there is more surface area also with the rear vented rotors.

Since the calipers are basically the same the improvement comes from increased everge and not any increase in clamping force.

#14 ·
They have the same towing, but 300 lbs less cargo/passenger payload weight. The pads are the same but the calipers and rotors are different on HD allowing better cooling and braking distance.

#17 · (Edited)
My OE brakes where great, I did the fronts only, rears are soon. It's all subjective and butt dynoish, new pads vs. old... During regular use I found them invisible, at first I used retail store top shelf for pads and rotors and can say the initial bite did feel stronger, barely but better. My favorite difference was more leverage than I thought I'd feel above 65 and the improved lack of fade with harder use. Adding an aggressive pad, lines, and a gooder rotors makes a 2/3 again difference. I would recommend this with everyone's first brake job.

#19 · (Edited)
Just the fronts will make you feel more comfortable with the brakes, we're talking a minor, fairly small, but very nice amount. Yes the upgrade is worth doing on its own, in reality any perceived gain in feel is going to come from the front upgrade. The rears will contribute more in the name of fade resistance and enduring use, think downhill with a trailer, logic, so it's not truly of any benefit around town, sorta, but it's also a great upgrade. Together the braking system feels better suited to the jeep. It's worth every cent. Next is brembo, but I don't want to give up my 18's yet.

#20 ·
With the HD brakes only the front rotor diameter is larger.

HD front rotor: 350mm
SD FRONT ROTOR: 330

HD rear : 330
AS rear :330

So doing the front upgrade alone with yield an improvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.