Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   aftermarket battery selection (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/aftermarket-battery-selection-5387.html)

KidFresh5.7 01-07-2010 06:08 PM

aftermarket battery selection

What battery brand does everyone go with? Anyone using a Non-stock battery? Optima redtop?

BugsWest 01-07-2010 07:22 PM

Re: aftermarket battery selection

I just replaced my battery about two weeks ago with an Optima red top. It was expensive, but my reasoning was that it will last for a long time with the proper care, and my Jeep is used in pretty cold temperatures in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Anyway, no problems with mine (my starter went out a few days later after battery replacement, but I don't think that was related!)

Chris 01-07-2010 07:25 PM

Red Top FTW

nick.jeff 01-08-2010 01:24 AM

What red top are you guys running?

wkearney99 02-28-2010 01:29 PM

Yeah, what optima part number is the best fit for a hemi WK?

AcidCold 02-28-2010 01:45 PM

I have a red top R34.

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteri...=pd_sim_auto_1

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-28-2010 01:51 PM

i have a walmart battery lol it was only $70

cwelk87gn 02-28-2010 02:34 PM

I can't speak Jeep-wise about the Optima batteries, but I had 3 of them replaced under warranty in my Tahoe with the average redtop lasting just over a year. After I asked around, it seems that while they are good for somethings, as an everyday starting battery they are not very reliable. The Tahoe was pretty much stock(no winch, high wattage off road lights, or stereo) and I bought the Optima thinking it would last 4 or 5 years without a problem, which it didn't. I'd shop around and see who has the best replacement warranty and price and go with them, I'd even get a price on a new Mopar battery, the dealer might hook you up.:thumbsup:

Mike_Levy 02-28-2010 03:01 PM

Thats strange. I always ran Yellow tops and have never had a problem with an Optima.

Chuck 02-28-2010 03:02 PM

I've heard Optima's batteries have gotten worse lately since they were bought out. I don't know if its true though considering they have had a high rep for some time. I have an AC Delco battery. Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of choosing what battery I wanted since I got stuck on the road (would have gotten an Optima at the time) :o. But this battery has been working pretty well for me.

CentralTexHemi 02-28-2010 03:08 PM

Odyssey FTW

The sandwich/plate design is better than optima's spiral core six pack. The plate design packes more "battery" material into into the same amount of space than the sixpack. Most police departments are switching over from optima to odyssey. As a side note, Sears sells a high perforated battery that is just a rebadged odyssey. The Odyssey PC925 battery only weighs 26lbs vs the stock 48lb battery so you also save on weight which is a big deal if you race alot

All of the Sears Platinum series batteris are made by Odyssey

Walt 03-01-2010 09:55 PM

Sears told me that their replacement battery for the 5.7L HEMI is an International series, not Platinum series. Not sure if it's the only replacement, but there wasn't a Platinum under the same battery series on the rack. I'd have to ask about the construction of the International series to determine if it is similar to the Platinum series.

Approaching 2.5 yrs on OEM factory battery, so this is timely for me.