Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rear Ended this morning. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rear-ended-this-morning-53975.html)

adamchrtrnd 01-31-2013 04:20 PM

Rear Ended this morning.

Hey guys,

Sorry I do not have a photo right now but I just wanted to express my frustration with drivers who do not pay attention while driving on the road. I was just rear ended this morning on my way to work by a Dodge Ram 2500. I was stopped because of traffic and this idiot hit me going about 20 MPH.

I have about 5K miles on the Jeep and purchased it 2 months ago.. Just my luck. I don't think they are going to total it but I am concerned with the resale value of the vehicle now that there is an accident on its report. Does anyone here have an experience with asking the at fault drivers insurance company for a diminished value check?

spyder873 01-31-2013 04:24 PM

Re: Rear Ended this morning.

I am glad you are OK , thats the important thing .

I dont have any experience with the diminished value check thing ( or ever heard of it) but I am sure the dealer will put it back to new .

Roki303 01-31-2013 04:25 PM

Wow, that sucks big time!!! Glad that you are OK.

adamchrtrnd 01-31-2013 04:26 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, it does suck big time. Glad I am ok as well, cars can be fixed or replaced - people cannot.

JEEP_JUNKIE 01-31-2013 04:27 PM

Dealer will tell you it's worth 10% less due to accident. I suggest taking lots of pictures and keeping he body shop receipts. A private buyer will want to see what was repaired. If done right it shouldn't cost you anything.

JeepersCreepers 01-31-2013 04:27 PM

Damn, sorry to hear that dude, that sucks. Glad you're okay (?) though.

I've got no experience with this sort of thing or how it works, but I hope you do get a diminished value check.

On the bright side, you'll probably have an easier time selling it with a rear end collision vs. a front end one...

Hacksaw 01-31-2013 04:28 PM

You might be surprised at how little it actually takes to "total" a vehicle.anymore...

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

adamchrtrnd 01-31-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers (Post 751800)
Damn, sorry to hear that dude, that sucks. Glad you're okay (?) though.

I've got no experience with this sort of thing or how it works, but I hope you do get a diminished value check.

On the bright side, you'll probably have an easier time selling it with a rear end collision vs. a front end one...

I have front end damage too, not bad, but the driver who hit me catapulted me into the vehicle in front of me. :mad:

JeepersCreepers 01-31-2013 04:32 PM

Oof. Yeah, Hacksaw is right, you never know but it may end up being totaled after all. Keep us updated, and those pics would be interesting to see too.

spyder873 01-31-2013 04:32 PM

did the air bag go off?

adamchrtrnd 01-31-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 751801)
You might be surprised at how little it actually takes to "total" a vehicle.anymore...

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

I am torn between wanting it totaled and not wanting it totaled.. just because I got such a great deal on the vehicle. MSRP 42K. Paid $34K

jgc4ever 01-31-2013 04:32 PM

I was rear ended 2 nights ago by a black 2013 VW Toureg Diesel. I have the same concerns as you. I've woke up with headaches the two mornings since the accident, and back pain. The active head restraints disengaged and prevented whiplash. Trailer hitch took most of the impact and the rear bumper and fasia. Exhaust looks OK and tailgate I think is OK. I'm worried about the size of the gap between the rear passenger door and the rear of the vehicle. It might be slightly more now, or it might be the way it always was; I dont' know. Condolences to you. 24 year old hit me and immediately admitted it was his fault. I called 911. The officers were suprised that no one was yelling. I guess I kept my cool. Not happy about it, especially impact on future value.