Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Use Caution if Using Low Fuel Light to Determine Refueling (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/use-caution-if-using-low-fuel-light-to-determine-refueling-54001.html)

DurangoZJ 01-31-2013 06:36 PM

Use Caution if Using Low Fuel Light to Determine Refueling

I would say 1 out of 10 fill ups I allow the low fuel light to come on before filling up. Only once have I gotten to the point where the DTE meter switched to just a "Low Fuel" warning.

Neither of these scenarios were the case today. I knew I was low on fuel but no low fuel light was on. At noon I decided to make the ~1mi drive to lunch. From the lunch place I would then drive across the street to gas up.

Got in the Jeep after lunch, started it up and the low fuel light came on immediately followed by the textual low fuel warning. Then the Jeep died.

Zero warning that I was that low on gas. Yes, I know some of you will say you should never let the Jeep get to the point of the low fuel light. The light is there for a reason and it only gave me a 15 second warning; not a 30-50mi warning like it should have.

Anyways, just a warning that we might need to give the WK2 low fuel light a little bit more weight when figuring out how far we have.

First time ever running out of gas. Embarrassing.

Red G8R 01-31-2013 06:52 PM

Re: Use Caution if Using Low Fuel Light to Determine Refueling

I never do. With the cold weather here, I like to keep it full as much as possible.

adamchrtrnd 01-31-2013 06:52 PM

Sorry to hear you ran out of gas. I have never had a problem with the fuel light and the 'Low Fuel" message being wrong for me, although, I drive 95% highway - I am not sure if that would make a difference.

rich mac 01-31-2013 08:57 PM

Were you parked on level ground?

DurangoZJ 01-31-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich mac (Post 752101)
Were you parked on level ground?

Relatively. Maybe a slight upslope.

Aiyer 01-31-2013 09:08 PM

Did you try restarting again?

I have driven few miles after getting the "Low Fuel" warning and the maximum I ever filled was 23.5 gal. Our fuel tanks are, IIRC, 25 gal capacity.

-A

DurangoZJ 01-31-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 752112)

I have driven few miles after getting the "Low Fuel" warning and the maximum I ever filled was 23.5 gal. Our fuel tanks are, IIRC, 25 gal capacity.

-A

I did try restarting.

BadAssAltitude 01-31-2013 10:04 PM

Only time i ever ran out of fuel was during that biotch sandy!

DirtyDuc83 01-31-2013 10:08 PM

Always fill up at about 1/4 tank. If it happens again you may want to take it in...faulty sensor

Srt8_hmi 01-31-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 752112)

-A

My best(worst?) Was 23.6 to fill up.

padgett 01-31-2013 10:39 PM

I try not to get below 1/4. Of course it tends to get warm here and the gas cools the fuel pump.

Alphainfinity 01-31-2013 11:18 PM

I let the beast run down to the fuel light, but for obvious reasons I don't push it. She doesn't sip fuel........