Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   When did a V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee become worth $50k? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/when-did-a-v6-jeep-grand-cherokee-become-worth-50k-54131.html)

Srt8_hmi 02-02-2013 12:25 PM

When did a V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee become worth $50k?

Is it a world class SUV now? Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the current prices. 3 years ago you could get a SRT8 for $50k but it was in it's own class for the price and performance. Seems like there are quite a few people ready to drop that much cash so it must be worth it? If the used market holds like it is at currently they will just keep raising MSRPs I think.

SMG1 02-02-2013 12:43 PM

It is funny. I bought my '10 SRT8 for $49k OTD. But it's not just Jeep. New car prices in general are through the roof. A loaded Dart is now a $30k car. Not too long ago $30k could have bought you a new SRT4 and a used Caravan. But buyers want and love the latest technology and features; that stuff doesn't come cheap.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

AAAA 02-02-2013 12:54 PM

Re: When did a V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee become worth $50k?

It's all relative. Stop in the BMW showroom.

Scottina06 02-02-2013 01:00 PM

yep...and that $50k jeep had a yugo interior......

bill_de 02-02-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srt8_hmi (Post 753027)
Is it a world class SUV now?

If not it's pretty darn close. Plus, with a Grand Cherokee, you still have some more affordable options with great capabilities.

AAAA 02-02-2013 01:15 PM

And you do not have $400 oil changes as at the MB dealerships.

stashgto 02-02-2013 01:25 PM

The GC has never been the cheap choice in it's class of vehicles regardless of what year it came out. It's 2013 that's the price of things

scooterha 02-02-2013 01:27 PM

Well I do remember back in 1998? I think When you could get a limited 4x4 fully loaded (which is standard or obsolete technology now) for 28K. Now though, the Overland is a prime example of a 44k+ vehicle that could cost less. Invoice for the 2011 Overland was 40203 (wk2jeeps.com). Now invoice is 43736+options and another 1K for destination. Going back and looking, the QL air suspension is a 1700 option on the Limited that could be optional on an Overland trim and would reduce the Overland trim even more. The reason I chose the QL to pick on is because of the reliability issues a personal friend of mine has had, and other horror stories I have read on here. Point is they keep making things standard that could be optional to cut production costs and keep adding things into packages that aren't being wanted. I'm going to use JeepersCreepers as a prime example.He ordered a Laredo E and had ordered the optional AWP (all weather package) with it. When pricing was released he modified his order because of things that the AWP doesnt need. On the 2013 model the AWP was a 800 option as its now a 1500 option because it now has a heated steering wheel and heated seats. I dont know. The WK2 is a success, and with the newer technology,the powernet systems they have implemented they are taking advantage of the success. They have added new features available on lower end models that a lot of people dont want or need but, if you want the selc terrain for its weather capability on a Laredo now you must have the 400 heated steering wheel and the 300 heated seats. But you know what.. I'm a Jeep guy and in the end I'll pay whatever the hell they want to charge for a GC just because they know I will :-)

SMG1 02-02-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 753040)
yep...and that $50k jeep had a yugo interior......

That's the truth. Mine rattled like a city bus from day one.

bill_de 02-02-2013 01:41 PM

It can't be easy deciding what should standard or optional at each trim level. To use the QL as your example, you say make it an option. They did, on the Limited. If you took out every standard feature on the Overland that somebody didn't want, you'd wind up with a Laredo.

You can turn a Limited, pretty much, into an Overland with the exception of the leather dash and doors, by just loading it up with options.

On the flip side, I've seen people complain that some standard stuff on the Limited, should also be standard on the Laredo. That could be done, but then the price of the Laredo would go up ... and somebody else would complain.

I want my Overland without a sunroof ... at a big discount of course. :lol:

Sometimes I think it's easier to walk on a lot, see something you like, take it home and deal with it. ;)

SRTgirl 02-02-2013 01:48 PM

I think the prices are pretty darn good. My 1998 5.9 Limited had an MSRP of over $39K. My current Limited is 15 years newer, has over 100hp more, and improvements and luxury to numerous to mention. I think it was a bargain with an MSRP of under 44k. Although you can get plenty of new GC's for at or below the price of that 98.

scooterha 02-02-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 753068)
It can't be easy deciding what should standard or optional at each trim level. To use the QL as your example, you say make it an option. They did, on the Limited. If you took out every standard feature on the Overland that somebody didn't want, you'd wind up with a Laredo.

You can turn a Limited, pretty much, into an Overland with the exception of the leather dash and doors, by just loading it up with options.

On the flip side, I've seen people complain that some standard stuff on the Limited, should also be standard on the Laredo. That could be done, but then the price of the Laredo would go up ... and somebody else would complain.

I want my Overland without a sunroof ... at a big discount of course. :lol:

Sometimes I think it's easier to walk on a lot, see something you like, take it home and deal with it. ;)

I agree with the lot thing it would be easier, its what Kia does (shudder). The Overland would still be far from the Laredo. The Overland offers a much higher end interior than the Laredo. Also it offers a lot more technology than the Laredo and Limited. Which it should. I'm just making a general statement to help answer srt8_hemi's post.