Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Is my Jeep 2wd or 4wd (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/is-my-jeep-2wd-or-4wd-54207.html)

Greenman 02-03-2013 10:22 PM

Is my Jeep 2wd or 4wd

I know this is a dumb question but I just need an opinion. I know how to tell the difference between a 2wd and 4wd just an fyi. The dealer I bought my 03 WJ from said that it was awd. So I didnt think anything of it. I put in the vin number to this website just to be sure and it said it was 2wd. However, I asked a trusted mechanic and he said that its 2wd until the jeep senses a wheel slippage and then it will engage in 4wd. It doesnt have a lever for 4wd and there is no "pumpkin" on the front axle. I just wanted to see if thats true about this model. Again, I know the difference between a 2wd and 4wd im just confused on this deal. Any input would be nice. Thanks!

Hacksaw 02-03-2013 10:27 PM

You have a 2wd WJ from the sound of things...no pumpkin on the front axle = no 4wd. To be absolutely sure go to jeep.com, click owners site login, create an account, register your jeep, enter your vin and you can see your build sheet showing everything that came from the factory, possibly(probably) all dealer installed options and maybe service records

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

Frango100 02-03-2013 10:30 PM

Re: Is my Jeep 2wd or 4wd

Welcome to the garage.
No pumpkin on the front axle means no differential = only rear wheel drive.
Besides the gear selector lever, there is most probably also no T-case selector lever next to it, isnīt it?
What your mechanic told you is true for a Quadra drive or Quadra trac jeep, where the torque can be transferred automatically to the front wheels, but it seems in your case its not.

Greenman 02-03-2013 10:30 PM

Thats what im thinkin. In your opinion, is it worth it adding a bunch of stuff to it like a lift kit, exhaust, brush guard etc since its only a 2wd or would I be wasting my money?

bill_de 02-03-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 753856)
You have a 2wd WJ from the sound of things...no pumpkin on the front axle = no 4wd.

I agree. I don't know how you would drive the front wheels without a front differential.

Did your mechanic actually look at the Jeep?

Frango100 02-03-2013 10:33 PM

I think that completely depends on you. If you like to do these modifications for the look of it, why not.

Greenman 02-03-2013 10:42 PM

Well I live in Kansas where the winters are unpredictable so is a toss up whether 4wd will be all that important. I dont do that much off road driving either. I go to the lake alot with my seadoos so I want my jeep to look good you know haha.

kennzz05 02-03-2013 11:33 PM

kinda suprised you havent brought it back and told them you told me it was 4 wheel drive etc i wanted 4 wheel drive its not 4 wheel drive i want some money back or sell me a 4 wheel drive model

Hacksaw 02-03-2013 11:34 PM

No reason you can't street it...lower, SRT exhaust style, ground effect underbody lighting,etc...

Greenman 02-03-2013 11:37 PM

No I dont think id ever do that to a jeep. I think until I get some more money Im just gonna leave it the way it is. I just put 700 dollars worth of A/T tires so that should be good for now lol

KSomes 02-04-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 753894)
kinda suprised you havent brought it back and told them you told me it was 4 wheel drive etc i wanted 4 wheel drive its not 4 wheel drive i want some money back or sell me a 4 wheel drive model

X2 If he really told you it was AWD, I would definitely go back to the dealer. If it isn't really what you wanted, then I think it is worth it to go back and at least see what the dealer can do for you. It sounds like you had plans to build an off road rig...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Greenman 02-04-2013 12:33 AM

Yeah I actually wanted to put a decent lift on it a beef it up into a off road jeep cause just down the road from where I live there is a nice trail I wanted to test out. I think im gonna still do that but im not gonna put as much money into it.
I actually thought about going back up there put I thought I read somewhere that if it doesnt say its a awd on paper than there is nothing I can do about it since he just told me.