Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   Advice on poly-bushes on a 2003 2.7 CRD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/advice-on-poly-bushes-on-a-2003-2-7-crd-54218.html)

rtz62 02-04-2013 06:10 AM

Advice on poly-bushes on a 2003 2.7 CRD

Hi,

Ive done a quick search but can't find the answer Im looking for (and if it is there, please forgive me, as Im a newbie!)

Basically I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD.

The vehicle had a rear-end 'shimmy' when driving over transverse ridges in the road, and I have had both rear shocks replaced as well as anti-roll (sway) bar links, which has tightened it up no end.

I'm thinking of replacing nearly all the suspension parts that have bushes and wondered if anyone has experience of having them (yes, I know they increase nolise and harshness) including difficulty of fitting etc.
I am in England, and am looking at SuperPro, PowerFlex or similar.

Thanks in anticipation.

rtz62 02-05-2013 05:00 AM

Re: Advice on poly-bushes on a 2003 2.7 CRD

Anyone?

Carlos Brown 02-06-2013 10:55 AM

Rtz62,

I have replaced all of the bushings on my 2002 Grand Cherokee and it has helped quite a bit. The only place I have used poly bushings so far is for the swaybar frame mounts. I am also using Heim Joints on the rear upper A-arm along with a Flex-Joint at the center mount. All of the other articulating bushings have been replaced with solid bushings, which have helped the ride quality quite a bit...

Poly bushing generally help to stiffen the suspension, but they often times squeak, which makes them undesireable in certain applications.

You may want to replace a couple of worn bushings with new rubber units. It will make a great difference. There are several articulating bushings included with the rear suspension. If "one" or "more" goes bad the ride quality deteriorates pretty rapidly.

If you stand along side one of the rear wheels and push laterally on the quarter panel, there should be no visible suspension deflection, only tire deflection. Try this on both sides of the vehicle...

Cheers

Carlos

rtz62 02-06-2013 01:20 PM

Thanks for that Carlos, very much appreciated.
I think I will go down that route; all I need is a local garage with a hydraulic press to remove the old bushes and press in new ones.
Anyone in the Mansfield / Chesterfield area of England know a decent garage????

Frango100 02-09-2013 09:47 AM

There is a lot of difference in quality of the suspension bushings. I had to replace the rear A-arm bushings and bought Omix-Ada, which where the more expensive ones on Rockauto.com. They lasted less then 1000 Km and where completely shot. I have red from several people that the Omix-Ada bushings are not good. Some of the guys overhere just bought the complete A-arm with the bushings from Omix-Ada and are still ok.
Just received new bushings yesterday, from Dorman this time. The quality at first sight seems to be a lot better, now only time will tell if they really are. I didnīt go for the option of the complete A-arm, because shipping would be twice as expensive as the part and then another 60% of tax. If these Dorman bushings wonīt work, i will go for a homemade A-arm in the style as Carlos is using.

Vamps 02-10-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtz62 (Post 753975)
Hi,

Ive done a quick search but can't find the answer Im looking for (and if it is there, please forgive me, as Im a newbie!)

Basically I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD.

The vehicle had a rear-end 'shimmy' when driving over transverse ridges in the road, and I have had both rear shocks replaced as well as anti-roll (sway) bar links, which has tightened it up no end.

I'm thinking of replacing nearly all the suspension parts that have bushes and wondered if anyone has experience of having them (yes, I know they increase nolise and harshness) including difficulty of fitting etc.
I am in England, and am looking at SuperPro, PowerFlex or similar.

Thanks in anticipation.

Have you completed this job? and has it improved handling / cornering?....:)

allthewayjumper! 02-14-2013 02:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RTZ62, You can put your own grease zerks at each bushing. Use a 5/64" bit and drill thru end of sway bar connecting vertical bar and bushing to bolt then stop. Go to the bigger drill bit required for the 1/4 X 28 grease zerk. Only go through the steel. Drill the holes so you can easily reach them and they won't be knocked off if anything were to slide on the connecting bar. About the 2 oclock position. You can put them on the sway bar where it attaches to the axle too. Allthewayjumper!