Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   kn for 4.0 wj 4.0 guys post thoughts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/kn-for-4-0-wj-4-0-guys-post-thoughts-54239.html)

sl1980able 02-04-2013 02:54 PM

kn for 4.0 wj 4.0 guys post thoughts

well I see there are 2 available I like both but which one do you guys like more. Not sure if the lengths on the pipe it self are the same or not, wondering which one puts the intake/air filter closest to the front of the grille opening, do you guys still retain the plastic duct or not use it. I was thinking about making a larger duct out of carbon fiber. jeep any pics would be great. Also side note was thinking about doing the airraid throttle body spacer. Any thoughts on this product. I think porting the throttle body/ new throttle body not sure if its a good bang for the buck. Just curious what out there done already. Post pics of setups any measurements so i can basis my buy this way.

With all these mods is there any need for a reprogram or to update the ecu for these gains?? I know there are some programmers and aftermarket chips out there wasn't sure who had better luck.

thanks all

Hacksaw 02-04-2013 03:35 PM

Look up flyin' ryan on the forum here ...he can answer all those questions in detail...from my research the only thing a throttle body spacer helps with is emptying your wallet. The two different K&N Cai are the same size with the difference being a plastic tube and a Chrome tube.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

spyder873 02-04-2013 03:59 PM

I had the k&n kit on both a Yj and a LJ with 4.0 motors. They seemed to calm the idle down a good bit plus , how do I put this...., free it up some ? It didn't feel as restricted as with the stock intake.
I also had a helix 1" throttle body spacer on the LJ and it "felt" as if it gave it a little more torque off the line. It also made much more noise for some reason.
But everyone has different results , that's why there is so much controversy over them. It also seems like it depends on the engine size as well.

sl1980able 02-04-2013 04:30 PM

Re: kn for 4.0 wj 4.0 guys post thoughts

cool guys thanks for the info hopefully im not being a pita.

spyder873 02-04-2013 04:34 PM

Not at all, lol. Anytime a engine can "breathe" better its good. You should look into a free flow exhaust at some point as well. The more air in = more air out.

Gus9890 02-09-2013 01:13 AM

I run Spectre CAI, I have the cone right up front so it gets air from the front as well and the surrounding area and run both hard tube then flex tube back and it works out really good. I just have to get time to make a heat shield, for now it sits in the open, but still works great.

sl1980able 02-09-2013 06:41 PM

cool i think im going to go with the plastic KN they make good products. I found a place that sells them on ebay for about $260 bucks that is the cheapest I found I was shocked to see that because I know they around $290 from summit and others