Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Nasty squeak from glovebox over rough roads (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/nasty-squeak-from-glovebox-over-rough-roads-54273.html)

avalys 02-05-2013 02:54 AM

Nasty squeak from glovebox over rough roads

When driving on a rough road (e.g. eroded/washboarded dirt road) a bit too fast, I get a really nasty squeak from the glovebox area over severe bumps. By nasty I mean it sounds like plastic sliding on plastic, not just a rattle or a bump, and sounds really obnoxious. Approaching "fingernails on a chalkboard" obnoxious.

I can't quite tell where it is coming from by opening/closing/wiggling the glovebox by hand, although it makes various cheap-sounding similar squeaks when I do so, none as bad as when moving though.

Anyone had a similar problem and fixed it, or have any suggestions?

Schweibs 02-07-2013 07:52 PM

Re: Nasty squeak from glovebox over rough roads

I did not have this particular issue but I did have a squeaking issue with my front passenger seat. I took my Jeep into the dealer and they found the squeak and fixed the issue. Your Jeep (assuming it is a WK2) is new, just take it to the dealer. You're still under warranty right?

Roger Ramjet 02-08-2013 12:49 PM

Mine (glove box) rattles sometimes. If I open the glove box door, no rattle. I did some research here and someone posted that they fixed theirs by using some adhesive backed rubber around the latch holes. I've asked in that thread where he got the rubber from and am waiting for the answer. He says the holes around the latch are too large. I may take a closer look at how the latch system works this weekend.

ernestd 02-08-2013 07:45 PM

Had this issue and solved it.
Used plumbers grease on the locking tabs/latch and a little synthetic grease around the perimeter of the glove box its been quiet for about 6 weeks now.

jmingtx@yahoo.com 03-14-2013 10:56 PM

Also have had this issue on my '12 Overland. Around 60 mph - when overdrive drops in - there's just enough of a bass tone from the drivetrain to trigger a loud squeak. After some contortions while driving I've isolated it to the glovebox latch handle. "New glovebox" is on order. This is just a quality failure that isn't befitting of a $45k vehicle.

Roger Ramjet 03-20-2013 11:34 AM

Dealer found and fixed by glove box rattle yesterday. The two part glove box was not assembled correctly nor were the moving parts lubed (as required). It has not rattled since and I have taken it over roads where it rattle every time.