Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Nick in the leather (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/nick-in-the-leather-54287.html)

nathantw 02-05-2013 02:16 PM

Nick in the leather

Its finally happened. Something ruined my leather interior. I was opening my door when I looked at the window sill leather and saw a little mark. I looked closer and saw it's a nick in the leather. ARGH! My leather isn't perfect any longer. Anyone know of a good way to fix it? I'm so irritated I'm ready to have the dealer replace t he entire strip under the window.

berk483 02-05-2013 06:17 PM

My condolences, that's one of my biggest fears. I'd notice it constantly.

jgc4ever 02-05-2013 07:18 PM

Re: Nick in the leather

You can't fix leather. I didn't think leather could tear though. It must be really thin. I'd get it replaced with new OEM or repaired by a professional leather shop if they can match the kind of leather and color perfectly.

nathantw 02-06-2013 06:10 PM

The leather is much thinner than I thought. I'm going to get some type of glue and see if I can mend it. The mark is probably smaller than what some people get if they accidentally touch their car with a pen, but it's still there.

Even though the mark is small and the dealer will probably laugh at me thinking I'm wasting my money I think I'll replace it, but ask them for the damaged part they'll replace. Man, this one sounds like it's going to run in the hundreds though.

lysol 02-06-2013 08:13 PM

There are leather repair kits that have you sand and putty. I'm very OCD and it comes at a price. I would be glancing at it every second... lol Replacing would probably be your best bet.

Tybalt39 02-07-2013 12:48 PM

Is the trim material on the doors actual leather, or is it the matching organic vinyl (or whatever they call the soy-based matching fabric used in the leather interior on the non-seating surfaces (other than the dash-top))? I have the Saddle/Black interior and the material on the doors doesn't feel like the same material that is on the seats.

Yes, the leather used in the Jeep is much thinner that that used in my Katzkin "skins" in the previous vehicle (or even the coverings on my home furniture), but even so, the seat feels like leather; the door covers don't.

nathantw 02-07-2013 01:23 PM

To tell you the truth I don't know if the door leather is really leather. I'm not an expert of materials like that. I do know that the the material was less than a cm thick or less than a couple sheets of paper thick. Crazy, eh?

I am looking at it every time I get a chance so I better just replace it. I'm just worried that the color will be different than the rest of the interior since it hadn't had time to fade like the rest of the car.