Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Shock strut alignment question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/shock-strut-alignment-question-54383.html)

anyoldiron 02-06-2013 11:36 PM

Shock strut alignment question

lve got some HD Bilsteins for my 05 Jeep GC.

Question, if i change the shock ass only from stock to HD Bilsteins do i need an alignment after?

Thanks

Any good links how to do this swap?

Hacksaw 02-07-2013 09:08 AM

Anytime you do anything with suspension you need an alignment.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

4.whoa 02-07-2013 11:05 AM

Re: Shock strut alignment question

not entirely true. It's best,yes, but if you only remove/replace the strut, upper ball joint and swaylinks so you have room to work you should be ok. however if you mess with anything further....... YEP :p

tfranzone 02-07-2013 11:07 AM

better safe than sorry to get an alignment whenever youre doing work on struts and shocks

ALPINEST4RS 02-07-2013 11:30 AM

If your putting new shocks on. Align it, no if ands or buts. The new strut compared to the old strut will change drive angles. 9/10 times when I replace struts the front toe goes inward and a little camber increases. In turn, decreasing tire life.

When I replaced my OEM with bilsteins.. I shot it on my alignment rack and the measurements were huge diff. I JUST aligned it when I did my daystar lift a month prior. All I removed was the strut and the sway links.

To do the swap. I HIGHLY reccomend a spring compressor when changing out. You may be able to take the struts out and go to a local auto parts store or independent shop to swap them for you.

In my entire life (noob years) I took one strut apart without compressing it. I didn't think it was going to be bad and the thing blew apart due to the spring compression, not the shock. Luckly nobody was hurt except for a garage window.

johngreen1234 02-07-2013 12:54 PM

I thought the OP was asking about changing the rear shocks only. When changing the rears only, any reason to do an alignment?

Hacksaw 02-07-2013 12:57 PM

I don't think there is any rear wheel alignment adjustment on a stock WJ/WK/WK2 but I could be wrong.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

spyder873 02-07-2013 12:58 PM

Yes , better safe then sorry .

anyoldiron 02-07-2013 04:49 PM

Thanks guys. My local tame tyre and shock shop will change the front shocks and align for $190, they have all the right tools and do it quick and right, i dont like springs, and dont have all the right tools.

ALPINEST4RS 02-07-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngreen1234 (Post 755796)
I thought the OP was asking about changing the rear shocks only. When changing the rears only, any reason to do an alignment?

For the rear there are NO adjustments. Straight axle.

therock2 02-08-2013 10:22 AM

I don't know of any adjustments for camber, toe, etc. for the rear. They may just be checking for alignment of the axle, bent springs, links, etc.

brentwoodkris 02-08-2013 02:31 PM

Get the Firestone lifetime alignment. Best $120 I ever spent on each car I've owned. I take it in and get it re-aligned every 4-6 months just for kicks.