Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Selec trac or Quadradrive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/selec-trac-or-quadradrive-54416.html)

Greenman 02-07-2013 05:41 PM

Selec trac or Quadradrive

At the moment im waiting for a dealer to find a 4wd WJ to trade with my 2wd WJ. I was just wondering if selec trac or quadradrive is better than the other or are they pretty much the same? And which system has the better gas mileage usually? I just wanna be prepared to ask the dealer any questions when it comes to that time. Thanks!

Trav1s 02-07-2013 06:17 PM

Re: Selec trac or Quadradrive

The Selec-trac is usually found behind the 4.0 engine. There were a few rare 4.7 powered WJs with it but not common. If you want the 4.7 then your choices will be the Quadra-Trac II or the Quadradrive. I have the QTII but would prefer the QD. Fuel economy difference is more related to engine than transfer case. Do you want the 4.0 or 4.7?

Greenman 02-07-2013 06:22 PM

I told the dealer to look for a 4.7.

hoffmanestates 02-07-2013 06:50 PM

Make sure the t case is functioning as mine is Not and i didn't know till i got stuck at a wet boat launch summer time.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Greenman 02-07-2013 06:54 PM

Yeah I will definantley check everything over!

Trav1s 02-07-2013 07:47 PM

QTII and QD use the same transfer case - the NV247. The difference is the open diffs in the QTII and the limited slip diffs in the QD. The QTII could be factory optioned with a rear limited slip diff.

Greenman 02-07-2013 07:49 PM

So they are pretty much the same thing really?

Frango100 02-07-2013 08:11 PM

Quadra drive would be the best option when you want to go offroad, because this system can transfer all torque to one wheel only, when all 3 others are spinning around. Quadra trac II can only transfer the torque to the front wheels, when there is a speed difference between rear and front propeller shafts. But due to the open diff design, you would loose traction, when one rear wheel and one front wheel starts spinning.
The factory tow package normally comes with a vari lock in the rear diff only.

Greenman 02-07-2013 08:15 PM

Ok that's what I needed to know. Im planning on getting a 4inch lift, probably rough country. Also, some 33inch M/T tires, new exhaust, and a brush guard so I want to have the best 4wd system for what im planning on doing. And with a 4inch lift will I have to do anything with the front or rear driveshafts or the break lines?

Frango100 02-07-2013 08:25 PM

No experience on lifting the jeep myself, but what i understood you will need an adjustable trackbar to be able to center the front axle left/right. I also believe that CV joints in the front propeller shaft donīt like too much a lift, would be better to have U-joints. There is a good change that also the propeller shafts will have to be longer.
Probably also the bushings in the rear axle upper control arm wonīt like the lift too much and will give way soon. You will probably need adjustable control arms or at least longer control arms, to keep the axle centered front to back.

Greenman 02-07-2013 08:42 PM

So do you recommend a lift kit?

Frango100 02-07-2013 08:46 PM

Since i donīt have one, i leave this question to the other members who already have lifted their jeeps and who can tell from own experience.