Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Unlock/Lock Button On Rear Chrome Brow (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/unlock-lock-button-on-rear-chrome-brow-54422.html)

Schweibs 02-07-2013 07:45 PM

Unlock/Lock Button On Rear Chrome Brow

So I discovered that the little chrome unlock/lock button on the back of my Jeep ('11 Laredo) is no longer working but the little rubber unlock/lock buttons on the front door handles are still working. I replaced the battery in my key fob and it still doesn't work. I go to the dealer thinking it could be a simple programming fix but after they inspected it they informed me that it has "shorted out" and the entire rear brow will need to be replaced. Would the license plate lights be included in that piece? If so then this worries me because a few months ago I changed out my license plate lights to LED's.

With that being said, has anyone else had this problem? Dealer said it would cost over $500 but with my MasterTech warranty I will just need to pay the $100 deductible.

Here is the LED's I'm using:
Putco 280003W Type T White LED Stick Bulb - Pair : Amazon.com : Automotive

RageOfFury 02-07-2013 07:51 PM

Re: Unlock/Lock Button On Rear Chrome Brow

That button is just that a button. I find it really weird that they have to replace the whole damn brow. It's just a button!!!

On my 11 Laredo, when the flipper glass button under the brow stopped working, the dealer just replaced the button.

Schweibs 02-07-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 756033)
That button is just that a button. I find it really weird that they have to replace the whole damn brow. It's just a button!!!

I thought the same thing!

So you wouldn't be worried about my LED's causing strange electrical problems?

RageOfFury 02-07-2013 08:23 PM

I don't think your LED lights caused an issue. The button is probably just dead. Maybe take out the LEDs and put back the OEM bulbs while the dealer fixes the issue? I still don't get why they need to replace the whole brow.

It's like replacing a whole door when the window stops working. lol

azzolij 02-07-2013 08:37 PM

Mine went bad and was replaced by the dealer. Apparently it is one piece,
The new one that was installed even had the sticky label that says it has to
be removed by the owner. Or something silly like that. It has nothing to do with
the license plate lights.

padgett 02-08-2013 08:52 PM

$240 MSRP for the brow when they replaced mine. Everything was covered.

Schweibs 02-09-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 756653)
$240 MSRP for the brow when they replaced mine. Everything was covered.

How many miles are on your Jeep? I'm curious about your warranty. Are you sure it was only $240? Why would it cost my dealership over $500 for the same thing? I mean either way I will just pay the $100 deductible but still the price difference is strange.

Scottina06 02-09-2013 12:01 PM

they are BSing you on the price....

padgett 02-10-2013 09:37 AM

I am showing it as a 6803083AA for $249.00. The rest may be labor.