Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rooftop carrier with panoramic sunroof (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rooftop-carrier-with-panoramic-sunroof-54435.html)

celder3 02-07-2013 11:54 PM

Rooftop carrier with panoramic sunroof

I've searched for discussions of carriers and I've found several that debate rooftop vs hitch mounted but I haven't seen any that talk about rooftop with a panoramic sunroof.

I will be using the carrier for extra storage on vacation. I like the idea of a soft rooftop carrier that can be folded away into a small bag after we reach our destination. However I'm concerned about a soft carrier laying on top of the sunroof.

I realize that gas mileage will be reduced with the rooftop carrier but I would prefer that to having a large hitch mount device that I would have to store someplace after we arrive.

Does anyone have experience with this setup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thrumcap 02-08-2013 07:01 AM

Re: Rooftop carrier with panoramic sunroof

Why would a roof top carrier be in contact with anything but the crossbars to which it is attached?

bill_de 02-08-2013 07:14 AM

I understand what your concern might be since you want to use a soft carrier. As mentioned, it should be sitting on the cross bars. I might consider putting something stiff in the bottom of the bag to keep anything inside from making the bag sag into the sunroof. If nothing else, a couple of strips of wood in the bottom of the bag should take care of it.

celder3 02-08-2013 07:22 AM

Thanks guys. I don't have any experience with these carriers and I didn't know exactly how they attached. Based on your responses it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have a carrier they would recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hacksaw 02-08-2013 08:13 AM

I use a cheap AXA from Walmart but if you're in an area that heavy rain is likely put everything in plastic before putting it in the bag. My wife insists on taking all nine of her pillows and comforter camping and we found out the hard way after a four hour hard rain on the way home once...at least not having all nine of her pillows and comforter to sleep with that night cured that problem.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

Jim_in_PA 02-08-2013 09:45 AM

celder3, don't forget that you'll actually need to get cross bars...they don't come with the JGC. AFAIK, there are a number of different options/manufacturers that work with the mounting rails on the JGC.

BTW, I absolutely agree with the advise to have your carrier on the cross bars and off the surface of your Jeep. Grit and road dirt that works its way under it will do a number on your Jeep's finish...including on the glass.

moosehead 02-08-2013 12:08 PM

While the softside would be fine with the suggestions above to provide lower horizontal support to keep it off the sunroof, IME a hardshell carrier would provide structural rigidity, weather protection, and lockable security. It may also be less wind drag for mpg.

Downside is obviously cost, but surf around for a used unit, or some areas rent them inexpensively.

ChrisOC 02-08-2013 12:33 PM

Jim brings up a great point, if you can, get some cross bars so that the bag doesn't touch the roof. Many years ago I used one, luckily on a friends car, and after the road trip there were dents and scratches to the roof. If you do get them, make sure to space them out so that neither the front, mid, back of the bag hits the roof.

Have a great trip!

bill_de 02-08-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOC (Post 756371)
Jim brings up a great point, if you can, get some cross bars so that the bag doesn't touch the roof. Many years ago I used one, luckily on a friends car, and after the road trip there were dents and scratches to the roof. If you do get them, make sure to space them out so that neither the front, mid, back of the bag hits the roof.

Have a great trip!

Sure glad I'm not your friend! :)

Jim_in_PA 02-08-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 756348)
...IME a hardshell carrier would provide structural rigidity, weather protection, and lockable security. It may also be less wind drag for mpg. .

I agree with this...there are some very nice cases that are designed for aerodynamic efficiency which will reduce fuel consumption without compromising space. Would also likely be less noisy at highway speeds due to good airflow.

celder3 02-08-2013 02:49 PM

I'm not totally against the hard case, but I like the idea of being able to fold up a soft bag and store it away after arriving at our destination and even at home. For instance, we go to Colorado every summer and stay in a condo or cabin for a week or two. It would be nice if I didn't have find a place to put the hard case.

Regarding the cross bars, do you recommend the Mopar ones from the dealer or a third party crossbar. Also, would two crossbars be enough to support a soft bag.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Hacksaw 02-08-2013 04:28 PM

Two crossbars it is how they are designed another in the middle wouldn't hurt but that's gonna get expensive quick. Two is fine.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.