Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Window fogging (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/window-fogging-54444.html)

Divo Kinevil 02-08-2013 06:45 AM

Window fogging

Really strange lately the front windshield keeps fogging up and I can't clear it. Its mainly on the driver side too and stops defogging right at my eye level. I have to drive like a gangster just to look out a clear window. I've checked the gaskets around the window and there are no visible cracks or leaks and I don't feel a breeze in the cab. Its a year old windshield too and I never had this problem until around Christmas time. Any ideas?

Frango100 02-08-2013 07:06 AM

Re: Window fogging

Do you only drive short distances? With the selector knob in defrost, do you feel a lot of air coming from the windshield air outlets? And all others have no flow?
Did you check the floor mats if there is any water on/below them?
In defrost the AC should start working, to lower the humidity of the air and to aid in defogging. Did you check if the compressor is running with the selector in defrost? (the compressor will cycle on/off, so wait a little and observe if it will come on after a while)

Divo Kinevil 02-08-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 756229)
Do you only drive short distances? With the selector knob in defrost, do you feel a lot of air coming from the windshield air outlets? And all others have no flow?
Did you check the floor mats if there is any water on/below them?
In defrost the AC should start working, to lower the humidity of the air and to aid in defogging. Did you check if the compressor is running with the selector in defrost? (the compressor will cycle on/off, so wait a little and observe if it will come on after a while)

I mainly only drive about 5 miles to each destination on average (work package store etc.) The controls seem to work just fine, the only issue I have is that the speed has to be on low for it to switch from one setting to the next, but I'm over it. The floor mats are dry though when the heat is on there is a strange smell in the air. Almost smells like a mix of exhaust fumes and oil. :mad: I will have to check the compressor next time I was not aware of that turning on. What’s weird is the passenger side defrosts just fine it's just the driver side and along the top of the windshield.

Frango100 02-08-2013 09:53 PM

The strange smell can´t be from coolant from a leaking heater core?
Does your jeep have the AZC airco system or the manual one? Strange that the blower has to be in low setting to move from one setting to the other. This almost sounds as a manual AC system with not enough vacuum to move the actuator.
Does the recirculation door move normally when selected?

Gus9890 02-09-2013 01:02 AM

Does you or another driver smoke in the vehicle? Either way, yes or no, try some armor all glass wipes and clean the windows really good. And run the defroster for a bit till it goes away. It could be due to smoking or just plain ol road grime that builds up.

Divo Kinevil 02-11-2013 09:46 AM

After playing with it this weekend in the storm called "nemo" everything works properly except defrosting the window. I change the temperature back and forth and no luck. I do not smoke nor does anyone else who would be in the jeep. Just strange to me. I think its just about time to bite the bullet and upgrade to a WK2

Whittaker23 02-11-2013 09:09 PM

look at my thread below this, you might need a new heater core like i did

kennzz05 02-11-2013 09:14 PM

here you go
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/fog-problems-54160.html

Divo Kinevil 02-17-2013 09:28 AM

It turns out it is the heater core causing my problems. I had to put about $1300 into her this week to keep her going for a little while longer. Going to end up upgrading to a WK2 by the end of the year. She had a good life though, 210000 miles! I'm sad to get rid of her but I can't see dumping any more money in. Thanks again for the help guys