Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Sounds like an old floor board "Creaking" (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/sounds-like-an-old-floor-board-creaking-54447.html)

DaGreenMile 02-08-2013 07:48 AM

Sounds like an old floor board "Creaking"

So im not to sure where this noise is coming from in my front end but its starting to tee me off cus it been cold lately for me to go out and check it out. But at not all the time but random my front end while turning rather moving or sitting still is making this creaking noise like in those horror movies when u see that freaky old door slowly opening that noise:eek:. I also notice the same noise when someone hops in on the pass side. Last night i got underneath with my phone flashlight after picking my GF up to see if i saw any broken parts and nothing but the sound is def there didnt stay out to long it was colder then a witches nipple last night. So if anyone have an ideal please feel free to chime in!!!!!!!!!

Triplecrown 02-08-2013 01:15 PM

Re: Sounds like an old floor board "Creaking"

This could turn out to be nothing, and sometimes the outside temp does bring out the noises. Either you way, you can lift it up and take a look for yourself, or take it to a reputable facility and have them check it out. It may cost you a small amount of money to have a trained eye examine your JGC, but least you'll know what's up. Something could also be discovered before it gets too bad, if you indeed have a problem going on.

I have different places for different mechanical/repair categories for my WK. What work for me, may not work for you and vice versa, so keep that in mind.

When it comes to any type of front end work or suspension, I go to Belle Tire. I've never had a problem with them, and you will not end up with some hack, working on your vehicle.

If you look at it yourself, and you know what to look for, then you already know to inspect: Struts, tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joints, sway links and bushings...etc

I try to do my own maintenance, most cases, but if i cannot figure out what the problem is or I flat out do not know how to do something, I'm going to do the right thing and have it looked at.

Hope this help!
-Tom

Archer9 02-08-2013 01:34 PM

I had awful creaking the other day when braking. It was packed snow/ice in the wheelwell rubbing on the tire. That's probably not your problem though....

brentwoodkris 02-08-2013 02:22 PM

Sounds like a creaking coil spring on your front struts. When those front struts get blown (some report by 30k, but others easily by 60k), it puts pressure on those large coil springs (and thus on the plate and insulator too). I used to have a similar noise before I upgrade my struts/shocks. Also, if you have newer struts, it could very well be that the cold has just shrunk the seals on your struts, which makes them move more freely and also causes the coil spring pressures to change.

ALPINEST4RS 02-12-2013 11:38 AM

You have a worn out bushing. To go the cheap route, I'd try sway links, bushings and updated bushing brackets.

Triplecrown 02-12-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALPINEST4RS (Post 758615)
You have a worn out bushing. To go the cheap route, I'd try sway links, bushings and updated bushing brackets.

True. I just had new sway links and bushings installed around a month or so ago. I would always hear a clunking noise over every bump. Now, my WK is so quiet and smooth when driving, it's better than new! I'm still recovering from a medical issue, so I paid to have this done, and it did not cost a lot.

But like the OP is describing, usually bad sway links/bushings tend to make more of a thumping/clunking noise, similar to what you'd imagine if the bolt on the strut was loose and the shock/strut was banging around in the wheel well. The 'creaking' indicates something besides the sway links/bushings. Least in my opinion.

ALPINEST4RS 02-12-2013 03:05 PM

My squeaking was coming from the sway bushings and the lower control arms.

Earthmover 02-12-2013 06:36 PM

Spring isolators, particularly the bottom but might as well replace both