Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   WK2 SRT Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f167/)
-   -   Alpine with red lower grill rings (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f167/alpine-with-red-lower-grill-rings-54448.html)

wstrick17 02-08-2013 07:56 AM

Alpine with red lower grill rings

1 Attachment(s)
Been a while since I posted.. Been out of town and haven't driven my baby that much! Just took her on a long road trip the other day and it performed great. Really like the adaptive cruise control, although if you don't pay attention you'll never get where you want to go cause you will never pass anyone haha. Anyway I had wanted to do the last bit of chrome delete on my alpine. I messed around with plasti dip and that wasn't as easy as advertised. It worked great when I removed the lower rings, but the chrome trim on windows were another story. I'm rambling! I gave up on the window trim for now, but here is the front grill! Went with red to match the calipers!

wstrick17 02-08-2013 08:00 AM

Re: Alpine with red lower grill rings

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another pic..

mlarco52 02-08-2013 12:49 PM

That looks fantastic! Something unique. Question how tough is it working with plasti dip? I've considered removing my 7 grill rings from the truck and spraying them with black plasti dip then a glossifier so they blend with the truck a bit more rather than being flat black.

wstrick17 02-08-2013 12:55 PM

Plasti dip is really easy when it's a small item like the grill rings. Definitely remove them. Great thing is you can peal it off and try something else if you don't like it. It's more durable the more coats you use. Plenty of YouTube vids out there

wstrick17 02-08-2013 12:55 PM

And Thanks!!

Scottina06 02-08-2013 12:56 PM

Looks nice! Subtle hint of color

wk2srt8oz 04-08-2013 09:12 AM

Looks great - i am thinking of doing the same on my Brilliant Black. I havent tried to remove the rings yet - are there any tricks or tips you can offer??
I was also thinking of doing the same with the bonnet 'nostrils' and have a spare set of each on order so i can experiment.

Scottina06 04-08-2013 12:31 PM

I posted a how to I think....if not just tape up around the rings with painters tape and then use a trim stick tool set and pop them out. Start on the side closest to the lower grille, work the stick under the ring and it will pop out. Go around the ring with the stick to pop the releases. Very easy

SRT8BLK 04-08-2013 12:50 PM

i posted the how to in the DIY thread, fourth thread from the top. it is very easy.

wk2srt8oz 04-08-2013 04:54 PM

Thanks Scott - Lower two rings very easy to remove.

Thanks also SRT8BLK - I had found that link previously for the upper seven grille rings.

Scottina06 04-08-2013 06:59 PM

good deal!

SRT8BLK 04-08-2013 08:59 PM

I hope plasti dip is more durable than vinyl wrap. I deleted all the chrome with 3M vinyl but after one mild winter here some of the chrome is showing through from salt/road debris hitting the front of the vehicle. Vinyl on window trim still like new.