Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM Notice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/service-4wd-system-notice-54461.html)

DustyOne 02-08-2013 12:30 PM

SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM Notice

I am new to Jeeps. 2010 GC Limited 5.7 Hemi 80,000 miles.

Yesterday with no symptoms, and no other indications, this notice appeared. Normal driving and no off road driving and it just came on.

Two weeks ago I had all fluids changed in transfer case, differentials, engine oil etc. I thought this would prepare me for the future ... then this notice.

Question: Local dealer wants $175.00 to diagnose ... then quote repairs. I have read sometimes this is simply a need to re-flash the control module.

Not knowing Jeeps, I am fearful of either large cost or an aggressive dealer.

Any thoughts about how to know if it is a big deal without great cost?

Potential reasons for this notice?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Dusty

Triplecrown 02-08-2013 12:53 PM

Re: SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM Notice

The $175 is not too bad, if they're willing to include it in the final bill. If you end up not having them do the work, they want to be paid for their time and overhead. (They still have to pay the technician). The $175 is a bit high for a normal diagnosis, but when it comes to transmissions and 4x4 systems, sometimes they have to take a 'closer' look at things which entails more time.

In your case, the technician may go over every harness, every wire, checking for shorts, proper voltage, and using a scan device that can narrow things down compared to a scan tool you borrow from AutoZone.

Some people prefer dealerships, some don't because they have a reputation at being much higher in price, although I have found that not to be true in all cases.

In my opinion, when it comes to transmission and 4x4 issues, going to the dealer may not be a bad idea. You can always walk away if you need too. Your dealer has more experience with your make and model, plus they have the proper equipment to make an accurate diagnosis.

Last, look at your paperwork and see if you have anything covered by any type of warranty. Even when your actual warranty expires, there are A LOT of things covered until 80,000 miles. Guess what? a lot of these items are 4x4 and transmission related!

Usually you can look at the 'Buyers Guide" and it should tell you.

I just had a ECM go out and in small print, I learned it was covered!! And I was prepared to PAY for it too!! It would have been over $900!!

I hope this helps, if not, we least compared notes!

Cheers,
-Tom

DustyOne 02-08-2013 01:03 PM

Thanks for the quick response ... I am attempting to be careful and prudent and not throw money where it need not go. If is needed ... no problem ...
Cheers

Nasser 02-09-2013 12:03 PM

It happened to me before. The service 4WD system just popped out of nowhere:eek::eek:. Took it to the workshop the mechanic said nothings wrong with your 4WD system.
But i started noticing that my battery is becoming really weak after start up. So i changed the battery and added a new one. So the service 4WD system disappeared, it was the battery dying that made the computer go nuts.
See if your battery is fully charged because if there was no problem with your car, it could be the battery!!

DustyOne 02-12-2013 12:43 PM

Thanks! I will review that as well.

Cheers, Dusty

DannyVtCa 02-14-2013 12:05 PM

My 4wd light was flashing on a couple times a year after a few years. If you have a full front differential the next thing to look at is the connections. There is an electrical connection right in front of the differential. Also, two plugs that go into your wheel hubs. When I changed my hubs two weeks ago these plugs were degraded a lot and I actually couldn't get them out. Had to order new wires. Check all these and make sure they are tight and their is no frayed wires.

I also think this 4wd system light might be related to the three crappy rubber bushings that suspend the front differential. They cause the clunking noise when you le shifting the tranny. Mine started clunking after two years... Around the time I started getting the light. Well, I drove around for another 5 years, getting a 4wd light a couple times a year. No worries, my jeep is still going strong. We will see if I ever get it again, because I have new bushings and the front diff is tight as when she was brand new... Also have new hubs and wires there.. So who really knows why the phantom service 4wd light chimes sometimes.

DustyOne 02-14-2013 12:13 PM

Thanks to all who volunteered their ideas.

Turns out there is s bad clutch in the transfer case and it is
UNDER WARRANTY!!! :)

Should be on the road tomorrow.

Thanks again, Dusty

Gojeep 02-15-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyOne (Post 759963)
Thanks to all who volunteered their ideas.

Turns out there is s bad clutch in the transfer case and it is
UNDER WARRANTY!!! :)

Should be on the road tomorrow.

Thanks again, Dusty

Good news on the warranty coverage.