Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   whining noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/whining-noise-54473.html)

jeeper_57 02-08-2013 02:22 PM

whining noise

hi all ,
I don't know exactly where to post this

Again with some strange noise, I get yesterday some noise ,that seems to come from front end .
It's a whining noise , starting at around 60km/h, getting very clear and noticeable at 80 km/h , only when accelerating , when i remove my foot from gas , no sound any more.
and upper than 80 km/h nothing to hear ..
Has someone experienced something similar?

My jeep is a 3.0 CRD limited with Quadradrive II

jeeper_57 02-19-2013 02:39 PM

Re: whining noise

Hi all , after a short trip to dealership, I was told it's the rear axle diff bearings .
and that at 156000km it's not 100% sure they can fix it 100% , that the noise can come again .
they would change the whole rear axle .

Has anyone experienced the same , is the change of diff bearing a so big challenge?:confused: and is it really rear diff bearing only??

during since my first post noise has becaume louder and come up in almost all speed range

jeeper_57 03-03-2013 08:11 AM

Small question / detail I had the pinion seal ring serviced after it leaked a bit...
Can it be due to this that i have bearing noise coming from rear axle ?:confused:
I experience yesterday some knocking noise , that seems to some from the teeth of the pinion and diff ring when suddenly accelerate

I'm sorry to post so much but , i don't find any mech able to fix and and to make the right diagnostic.:(
And i really don't wanna pay 3k without taxes and without mounting for a cpl rear axle if there is a easy and cheap solution.:mad:

dr.lee.baugh 03-03-2013 10:48 AM

Certainly sounds like it could be the rear diff.

After servicing the rear pinion seal they may not have set the preload on the bearing properly, causing it to wear out faster than it would have otherwise. If it was leaking, it could also have run low on fluid causing the damage.

You can disassemble the diff and rebuild - but the success of this really does depend on the people doing the rebuilding. Although it's not overly complicated, it is easy to get some of the specs wrong and you'll be in the same position a few months later.

Unfortunately, I think you are past the point of this being a simple fix (especially if you are getting grinding), and no matter what way you go, it's going to cost.

dmsfun 03-03-2013 01:20 PM

A knocking noise does not sound like it would be from the rear diff internals, rather from the suspension. It is not that big of a job to replace the rear diff carrier bearing and the whining noise should go away. My QDII rear diff had that done and is totally quiet now.

jeeper_57 03-03-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 771677)

After servicing the rear pinion seal they may not have set the preload on the bearing properly, causing it to wear out faster than it would have otherwise. If it was leaking, it could also have run low on fluid causing the damage.

You can disassemble the diff and rebuild - but the success of this really does depend on the people doing the rebuilding. Although it's not overly complicated, it is easy to get some of the specs wrong and you'll be in the same position a few months later.

Unfortunately, I think you are past the point of this being a simple fix (especially if you are getting grinding), and no matter what way you go, it's going to cost.

thanks fro the advice , I also thought they have made some crappy work , because when I asked the mech ( Jeep mec by the way ) he said there's no need of preload ,as in the past i was just wondering :eek:

I've looked the nice bill they made , and they have only 1/2 L of oil , and no additive ...:banghead:

I'll open myself the diff and look after a garage I can trust and who can work with jeeps .. other wise i think i need to prepare myself for a bigger bill :'(

jeeper_57 03-04-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 771798)
A knocking noise does not sound like it would be from the rear diff internals, rather from the suspension. It is not that big of a job to replace the rear diff carrier bearing and the whining noise should go away. My QDII rear diff had that done and is totally quiet now.

THANKS !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I 'll try to figure out what's wrong on Thursday , and to replace the bearings ... I also thought it's not a big deal to change the bearings...:lol:

jeeper_57 03-07-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 771677)

bad news , I had grinding in oil, diff bearing hs and too much play in it ..
3 solution new diff 2.3 k or a service rear axle same price (that is difficult to be ordered ) I don't know why.. find 1 on a crashed jeep..

dr.lee.baugh 03-07-2013 12:27 PM

Depending on how reliable you need this vehicle to be, I would consider option 4 - leave it alone until it fully fails.

It is possible to go 1000's of kms without a complete failure, just letting it howl away and turn up the radio.

If you don't have the option of having it rebuilt and are going to replace the whole rear anyway, you aren't likely to hurt anything else by leaving it alone.

Now don't get me wrong, it will fail at some point, and most likely in a catastrophic way leaving you stranded at the side of the road with a Jeep that will not drive...but the solution at that point will be to swap out the rear assembly, just as it is now.

Not possible to really predict how long it will last. Could be a day, could be a year.

I would be very hesitant about throwing in a used unit - these differentials require regular maintenance. It is quite possible you put in another that howls as well.

Good luck!