Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   I was pretty much set on a '14 summit...but now the SRT wont get out of my head (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/i-was-pretty-much-set-on-a-14-summit-but-now-the-srt-wont-get-out-of-my-head-54501.html)

Vanguard 02-09-2013 06:46 AM

I was pretty much set on a '14 summit...but now the SRT wont get out of my head

I was loving the 14 summit v6...but the raw power and aggressiveness of the SRT is really growing on me...

Are there any common problems the SRT has? Im guessing it costs a lot more to maintain?

I drive like 200 miles a week so fuel isnt that big of a deal for me.

Vanguard 02-09-2013 06:58 AM

Re: I was pretty much set on a '14 summit...but now the SRT wont get out of my head

Also, does the SRT not come with the air suspension?

Guess not seeing as thats not very good for tight turning lol.

xJoshxx 02-09-2013 07:41 AM

Re: I was pretty much set on a '14 summit...but now the SRT wont get out of my head

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanguard (Post 756876)
Also, does the SRT not come with the air suspension?

Guess not seeing as thats not very good for tight turning lol.

Correct no air suspension but has magnetic fluid shocks for dynamic changes

FAUEE 02-09-2013 12:13 PM

Very different vehicles really. It comes down to if you want a comfortable ride capable of offroading, or a sporty SUV capable of taking your family and stuff to their destination at a high rate of speed.

I'd test drive the 2013s of both and see which fits you more. I had initially wanted an SRT8, but couldn't justify $65k for one. They're over $70k now for the '14s. You can get a LOT of other stuff out there for that kinda money. Slightly used X5Ms, ML63s, etc.

Scottina06 02-09-2013 12:17 PM

You can get an SRT for $64k

and why the hell would anyone want a used vehicle when shopping for a new vehicle? A 4 year old x5m or new 14' SRT? LOL...why even bring that up? Blows my mind with some of you people.....

FAUEE 02-09-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 756977)

and why the hell would anyone want a used vehicle when shopping for a new vehicle? A 4 year old x5m or new 14' SRT? LOL...why even bring that up? Blows my mind with some of you people.....

Some people aren't absolutely dead set on a brand new off the lot vehicle. Especially when they can get a lot more vehicle in a used competitor. Some people HAVE to buy new cars though.

Keep in mind, the $64k SRT8 will be missing quite a few nice features that you would expect at that price point. Like the Pano roof, leather dash, and tow package.

But those are all minor points. The SRT will drive VERY differently from the Summit. Very different vehicles, though technically based on the same starting point.

lysol 02-09-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

I'm with Scott on this one. I just do t understand why people give up the New quality for a used more luxury brand. I guess I don't get hung up on trying to hang with the higher class. I'll get there when I get there.

I say I can only afford it if I buy it new. Everyones different I guess.

Milous 02-09-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

and why the hell would anyone want a used vehicle when shopping for a new vehicle? A 4 year old x5m or new 14' SRT?

Regarding the X5, even if I could get past the eye-sore exterior design and 90s interior design, I could never deal with the designed-by-morons iDrive system. Could they have put the screen any further away from the driver? The SRT is by FAR a much better choice.

Scottina06 02-09-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 756980)
Some people aren't absolutely dead set on a brand new off the lot vehicle. Especially when they can get a lot more vehicle in a used competitor. Some people HAVE to buy new cars though.

Keep in mind, the $64k SRT8 will be missing quite a few nice features that you would expect at that price point. Like the Pano roof, leather dash, and tow package.

But those are all minor points. The SRT will drive VERY differently from the Summit. Very different vehicles, though technically based on the same starting point.

LOL....a lot more vehicle?????? I just laughed you off the boards.....

JUST GO AWAY.......

Milous 02-09-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 756980)
Especially when they can get a lot more vehicle in a used competitor.

As hard as I try, there is just no way I can even start to come up with a list of what would constitute "a lot more vehicle". Seriously, I think it should have been worded as "...they can get a lot less vehicle in a used competitor".

FAUEE 02-09-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 757067)
As hard as I try, there is just no way I can even start to come up with a list of what would constitute "a lot more vehicle". Seriously, I think it should have been worded as "...they can get a lot less vehicle in a used competitor".

80hp would be a start. to things the BMW has and the Jeep doesn't ;) The BMW is also quite a bit faster in every performance number, has a torque vectoring AWD system and so handles better, and is made by NON-UAW guys down in SC.

And the iDrive system is very easy to use, I don't get where people complain about it. I went from "never seen it" to "using it fluently" in about 45 seconds.

I agree about the screen, they somehow managed to stuff it 3 feet into the dash. It's supposedly in there to reduce glare from the sun, but because it's so far back there it looks tiny in comparison to the much smaller screen in my Overland.

The looks, well, it looks good from the front, so I'd just try to only approach it from the front. Slapping the Quad tip exhaust on the back of it was apparently difficult to make look OK, because frankly the normal X5s have a nicer rear end than the M version.

To me, if I buy brand new, it just means more depreciation I take. Other people like knowing they're the first person to fart in the car. Doesn't phase me that much, I drive rental cars all the time that a lot of people have farted in.

Regardless, this thread isn't about "reasons guys who get paid by Chrysler think the SRT8 is better than its German counterparts", it's about if a guy would prefer an SRT8 or a Summit.

DirtyDuc83 02-09-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 757125)

Regardless, this thread isn't about "reasons guys who get paid by Chrysler think the SRT8 is better than its German counterparts", it's about if a guy would prefer an SRT8 or a Summit.

So why bring up other vehicles that arent the Summit or SRT8?