Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Got rear ended, lousy body shop issues... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/got-rear-ended-lousy-body-shop-issues-54531.html)

tallRider 02-09-2013 08:41 PM

Got rear ended, lousy body shop issues...

Long story short, I was turning left onto my street and got rear ended. Saw the guy in my rearview in the last second but couldn't really do anything at that point. My heart immediately sank, knowing my car would now have an accident history and lower resale value. It's a 2013 Laredo with only 2300 miles on it. Luckily, the damage was limited to just the rear bumper and the heat shield around the muffler. I thought "ok" any half decent body shop should be able to paint and install a new upper and lower bumper cover.

The driver and I both have State Farm, and I was able to choose the shop. I took it to a highly rated, local shop that's been around town for the last 20 years. They are known for doing pricey work. They gave me a quote for $1300.

Here's the damage:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...d/IMG_1259.jpg

I picked it up, and when I inspected it in my garage I found this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0218795b69.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ca6337e5b9.jpg

Now, I'm not usually the one to complain, but I thought this was unacceptable for a new car. Especially when the guy in the office smiled and said it would look as good as new. So I took it back, and without hassle they said they would repaint it. Well I got it back today, brought it home and looked it over. The paint looks like it should now, but I noticed they left a nice big scrape in the lower plastic valence. I thought "damn, well, maybe I can just replace it myself so no one touches it again." But then I noticed a rivet popping out of the plastic wheel flare (I was able to pull it out completely) and the corner of the bumper where it mates up to the wheel flare slightly popping out. I noticed a philips screw holding it rather than the original factory hex bolt.

After all this, I'm pretty disgusted and I'm left with a very sour taste from this body shop. I called State Farm to ask if I can take it to another shop to have the work done properly. They said I have to call on Monday and talk to my claim rep. Anyone else ever deal with this kind of problem? Any advice? Am I being too picky? I'm a manufacturing engineer, and this just doesn't seem acceptable by my standards.

jgc4ever 02-09-2013 08:48 PM

Re: Got rear ended, lousy body shop issues...

You're not being too picky. I got rear ended and took my Jeep in to the shop yesterday. I'm distraught at being without my Jeep. Anyway, make the call and get a new plastic piece for the rear lower valence on that shop's dime, or paid by State Farm at least.

bill_de 02-09-2013 08:53 PM

No, you are not being too picky.

Knightrider03m 02-09-2013 08:58 PM

This is why I will never, ever take any of my cars to a body shop that isn't from the dealer IMO. I would be pissed that the bumper had to be repainted again after they give it back to me.

Sent on my Moto RAZR HD while I'm in class, in a meeting, in a waiting room, or in the bathroom

JFD328 02-09-2013 09:00 PM

You are not at all being picky. I would do the same. I expect the best and no less.

SteelBlueWK 02-09-2013 09:31 PM

No you are not being too picky. It was a brand new car with hardly any miles. You should not have to settle for a half-a$$ed, Maaco type repair job. It should look just like you got it from the dealer.

This is why I have done all my own accident repairs over the years. Of course I've been lucky they were all only minor fender benders. But I have replaced fenders, bumpers, lights, and such.

Best of luck getting it fixed correctly.

padgett 02-09-2013 10:15 PM

When I was rearended the dealer did not have a shop but sent me to the one they use. All parts were replaced with new Mopar parts (including the rivets) and it looks like new. So far (year & 7500 miles) am entirely happy with Central Florida Chrysler Jeep.

Hit was much harder (Ford F truck) and while I was stopped in traffic but can recommend the factory hitch/receiver as a major shock absorber. Truck had to be towed away but even the tailgate still worked and sealed properly.

FAUEE 02-09-2013 10:24 PM

Agreed with the others, you're not being too picky. In fact, I'd say you've been downright generous with them. Keep on them, don't take no for an answer, you pay them every month for this sort of thing, now they need to make your new car perfect again, if they can't, they owe you a new car that will be perfect.

JeepersCreepers 02-09-2013 11:40 PM

Hate to ask, but where was the guy who hit you coming from, the oncoming lane which you crossed, or the lane which you were leaving to make the turn?

americanbulldog 02-10-2013 12:24 PM

Personally I will only take my JGC to a Chrysler dealership body shop if it ever needs work. I believe and have seen that they are more interested in your satisfaction than an independent shop because Chrysler wants you to continue to buy their product in the future. They fixed my Sebring convertible 3 times and they did a perfect job each time and I am very picky and not apologetic about it. I do my job to the best of my ability and I expect the same from others.

Willir2 02-10-2013 01:33 PM

Is the shop you used in their Repair Program that State Farm has? If so they will have no problem getting you to another shop where they will do a Re-inspect to see addtional problems/damage. If shop is part of program they should be doing whatever it takes to get you right. My prefrence for a shop is a national chain or dealer shop. Better guidlines and no short cuts normally. Good Luck!

SW03ES 02-10-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m (Post 757233)
This is why I will never, ever take any of my cars to a body shop that isn't from the dealer IMO. I would be pissed that the bumper had to be repainted again after they give it back to me.

If anything, bodyshops connected with the dealer do lower quality work than those that are independent, in my experience. They have a built in stream of business from the dealer, while an independent shop has to rely on their reputation and referrals to stay afloat.

I personally try and avoid anything having to do with the dealership whenever possible.

To the OP, you aren't being too picky. It should be like new.

The bumper cover is probably aftermarket, which is why it doesn't fit well.