Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   2008 3.7L Laredo Not Starting, All Lights and Gauges Working (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/2008-3-7l-laredo-not-starting-all-lights-and-gauges-working-54642.html)

supergreek50 02-12-2013 12:11 AM

2008 3.7L Laredo Not Starting, All Lights and Gauges Working

Hey yall,

I recently started having an issue with my jeep where he just refuses to start. No whining or even trying to turn over. When I turn the key, the lights and radio all come on and don't dim when i turn it to start, but the engine just doesn't kick up like it normally does. It's happened a couple of times and usually ends up working again later. I don't think its the battery - the jeep's response to the key turn was completely unchanged even during a jump. I heard a couple of clicks under the hood when I had someone else turn the key. Almost like there was a message being sent with nothing to respond to it. Could use any ideas/advice you're willing to throw at me. Thanks!

2005JGC 02-12-2013 12:24 AM

Re: 2008 3.7L Laredo Not Starting, All Lights and Gauges Working

typically your symptoms indicate a failed starter solenoid, replaced with a starter assembly.

kennzz05 02-12-2013 01:06 AM

get out the meter and ck for power going to starter
some of this may help

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/2...ation-1273568/

and

https://www.google.com/search?q=08+g...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Triplecrown 02-12-2013 02:02 AM

Sometimes when a starter going bad is you will still be able to start up just fine, you may also experience 'clicking'. Another symptom is nothing happens when you turn the key.

Luckily, least in my opinion, the starting/charging system is not that complicated. You should check your battery cables for good connection and free of corrosion, same for your battery terminals. If you're not able to figure your problem out, then you may want to consider having it looked at, just to save you time and headache. Hopefully you have a relationship with your dealer or local garage. Either way, you need your WK to be dependable!! You don't wanna have to wonder if your ride is going to start when you go out to the parking lot! Back to what I was saying, I have literally replaced DOZENS of starters, and most have had some of the symptoms you're describing. Your solenoid can be bad, too, but when you start replacing those items, it's best to swap out the starter too.

supergreek50 02-12-2013 08:38 PM

thanks for all the info! I'll have to try the simpler fix first, then progressively go more complex/expensive if the problem isn't solved.

Strongjeff 02-13-2013 01:32 PM

i had an issue like this a while back, it turned out that the positive cable on the starter was loose

supergreek50 02-13-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 759360)
i had an issue like this a while back, it turned out that the positive cable on the starter was loose

How do I access that to check it? Due to the sudden onset of the problem shortly after a little roughish riding, that sounds plausible

Strongjeff 02-13-2013 01:48 PM

well your gonna have to get under it on the drivers side with i beleive eighter a 9/16 or 14mm wrench or a ratchet (your prefference) and check to see if it's loose. it will be the larger wire on the solenoid

Strongjeff 02-13-2013 01:56 PM

well i gota get back to work, check the cables on the starter. if they are tight, then i would take it and have the starter tested. it may be going bad as 2005JGC stated

antsjeep 02-21-2013 08:41 PM

I had the exact issue with my '08 with only 20k ish on the odo... turned out to be a bad PCM and an ignition module. I specifically remember having my X drive me over my spare key fob thinking that was the problem, but still wouldnt start. No click, no nothing, just the entire dash lighting up and flashing at me. Tried a jump start and still nothing. So after ruling out a few obvious things I calling Jeep roadside. They set me up with a free tow to the dealer and the dealer replaced everything under my factory warranty (after waiting 2 days for parts). I bitched enough at them about being stuck at work, etc, etc... that i was able to get a free loaner (Dodge Avenger) to beat the piss out of :D

Just hope its not your PCM... it can cost you $$ (especially at a dealer) if your not under extended warranty.

supergreek50 02-23-2013 04:51 PM

Looking like it was the starter or a piece of it. Replaced it and no more issues. Thanks for the help guys!

supergreek50 02-25-2013 01:08 PM

Alrighty, I spoke too soon. Got a brand new starter (and belt tensioner, but that's another story), garage guys said battery was fine. Worked great for about 3 days. Then it decided to start that bullcrap up again. Only difference was this time the first time I went to start it up I got a half-crank and then he quit on me and acted like he did before. All electrical stuff interior etc working great. No start.