Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Lets talk about window tint (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/lets-talk-about-window-tint-54661.html)

Cknight199 02-12-2013 11:34 AM

Lets talk about window tint

What do you guys have? I'm thinking of doing 35% front windshield, 5% everywhere else? Too dark? Let me know your thoughts.

ALPINEST4RS 02-12-2013 11:42 AM

Re: Lets talk about window tint

Too dark. I have 5% all the way around (-windsheild) and it was a stupid decision. I can't see at night. I'd do 35% on the frt driver and pass side windows and call it a day. Plus, the fact I have 5% makes me paranoid up the butt about cops. Its not worth it.

Cknight199 02-12-2013 11:50 AM

What about 20% front windows? I don't want anyone to be able to see in... And I don't like the look of back windows not matching the front, not as clean looking..

jdloushin 02-12-2013 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
20% on Fronts. Factory on rears

Attachment 19748

Cknight199 02-12-2013 12:20 PM

What are the factory rears? 5%?

Cknight199 02-12-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdloushin (Post 758626)
20% on Fronts. Factory on rears

Attachment 19748

Is thy your jeep?

Cknight199 02-12-2013 12:25 PM

And what's your windshield tint? If any?

jdloushin 02-12-2013 12:25 PM

Yes. The rears look dark in the picture. I didnt do anything to them, just put 20% in the front. Pretty sure the rears are 20 as well. The angle of the picture must make them appear darker

jdloushin 02-12-2013 12:27 PM

No tint on the windshield

Cknight199 02-12-2013 12:32 PM

Okay so I think I'm going to go with 20% all the way around.

travelhawk 02-12-2013 12:52 PM

Not sure where everyone lives, but note that some states -- California especially -- allow only a slight darkening of front seat and windshield windows. I don't know the exact darkening numbers (stated in the State Vehicle Code) but if the driver can't fully be seen in daylight that is definitely too dark. Apparently the law is for safety, for other motorists and for police officers.

Of course cars factory-built for California have legal windows. But when someone with a vehicle bought elsewhere moves to or works in California, even for a few months (which triggers "vehicle resident requirements"), if windows are darker than California allows, cops can and will write a ticket that requires replacing the glass. Expensive! This is a common situation with cars from next-door Arizona and Nevada.

If too-dark-windows are implemented by adding film, apparently it doesn't matter how long the car is in California. A cop will stand there while it is peeled off. This is a common site along the border with cars driven in from Mexico.

Cknight199 02-12-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelhawk (Post 758651)
Not sure where everyone lives, but note that some states -- California especially -- allow only a slight darkening of front seat and windshield windows. I don't know the exact darkening numbers (stated in the State Vehicle Code) but if the driver can't fully be seen in daylight that is definitely too dark. Apparently the law is for safety, for other motorists and for police officers.

Of course cars factory-built for California have legal windows. But when someone with a vehicle bought elsewhere moves to or works in California, even for a few months (which triggers "vehicle resident requirements"), if windows are darker than California allows, cops can and will write a ticket that requires replacing the glass. Expensive! This is a common situation with cars from next-door Arizona and Nevada.

If too-dark-windows are implemented by adding film, apparently it doesn't matter how long the car is in California. A cop will stand there while it is peeled off. This is a common site along the border with cars driven in from Mexico.

I live in Utah. My dad has an escalade with 5% all the way around, 20% front window. Has gotten 1 ticket when my mom drove it, but it's classified as a fix it ticket. If you fix it within a week, they don't ticket you. Or you can pay $50 per time they catch you.

My uncle has 2% all the way around on his land rover. Gotten a ticket in Arizona and it was the same.. Fixit ticket