Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   What do you guys think of "dealer recommended" service intervals? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/what-do-you-guys-think-of-dealer-recommended-service-intervals-54735.html)

suzieque 02-13-2013 07:47 PM

What do you guys think of "dealer recommended" service intervals?

Had a dealer service writer call, here is how the discussion went...

"Your vehicle is due in to have the brake fluid and power steering fluid replaced, what time can I book you for?", she said.

I'm thinking WTF is she talking about? "But my owners manual does not say anything about a requirement for a brake fluid and power steering fluid replacement", I said.

"That won't be mentioned in the generic owners manual, this is a dealer recommended service at 25000 miles (40000 kilometers)", she said.

"What does this cost?", I said.

"About $100 each", she said.

I said, "I will call you back", and hung up.

Now, I know these fluids probably need changing at some point, but what do you guys think of this? It's not overly expensive, but seems like unnecessary service to me.

2005JGC 02-14-2013 12:38 AM

Re: What do you guys think of "dealer recommended" service intervals?

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, as in it attracts moisture. Moisture in a steel system = rust. I have been told some euro's require a brake flush for their factory maintainence. That said brake fluid can be tested for moisture and corrosion resistance. The people that have actually paid for the moisture tester and corrosion dip strips are pretty low though. Most times I saw brake fluid sold it was by color. At my current shop we do have both the moisture tester and dip strips that are used during inspections.

As for the power steering, I dont think its all hokus, it is fluid run through a pump and heated and cooled and contaminated. 25k might be a bit early but honestly its all up to the owner.

DannyVtCa 02-14-2013 01:02 AM

I didn't bleed my brakes and power steering fluid until 80k and six years. Looking back I should have done it around 50-60k. But, no problems and the brakes and power steering work great. Brakes are really easy, power steering a little more difficult.

suzieque 02-14-2013 04:20 PM

Thanks for the replies, I think I will hold off until summer when i plan to do the radiator (coolant) flush.

Drew 02-22-2013 05:32 PM

I know it's not the "recommended" way, but I've always "turkey bastered" those two fluids for maintenance....no issues.

tomstromie 02-22-2013 08:53 PM

I think it is all a scam by the dealer to increase revenue. Sure, those fluids may need to be replaced sometime, but I sure think 25,000 miles is about 100,000 miles too soon. Are you really planning on keeping your Jeep for 200,000 miles? My nephew's stepson is now driving my old '96 Cherokee, it has 215,000 miles on it, and the only problem has been a worn out alternator.