Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Wing Mirror Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/wing-mirror-question-54753.html)

BobT 02-14-2013 01:22 AM

Wing Mirror Question

About an inch in from the outside edge of the wing mirrors is a fine dotted line. Does anyone know the purpose of this?

Studgun 02-14-2013 01:30 AM

That outside section is angled slightly more to give you wider vision. Isn't as effective on the jeep as some other cars.

allypally 02-14-2013 04:49 AM

Re: Wing Mirror Question

Isnt it the heater element?

Studgun 02-14-2013 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's the line that goes around the whole mirror a few mm from the edge. I thought he was asking about the straight line about an inch from the outer edge. I'm 3000km from my Jeep so I can't double check

EDIT: I don't have Blind Spot Monitoring, like in the image below. I think on mine it has a built-in 'blind spot mirror' instead and I thought that was what Bob was asking about.

Attachment 19768

BobT 02-14-2013 04:56 PM

Well I'll be buggered, I checked and you guys are right! The mirror is convex as we know but in the last inch it's a little more convex which extends the view out more. The image is fairly scrunched up but gives one a better chance of picking up a vehicle in the blind spot. I suppose I've been using it all along without realising. I don't have the electronic Blind Spot Monitoring either.

allypally 02-14-2013 06:53 PM

I always thought I had convex eyeballs and the problem was with me.
I can now sleep at night without worry.:lol:

Matty470 02-16-2013 11:49 PM

The fine line around the edge of the rear view mirror is the electro-chromatic auto dimmimg feature. It dims the mirrors the same as the internal rear view mirror when the system detects headlights from behind.

Studgun 02-16-2013 11:51 PM

Well I'll be damned. Didn't even know the side mirrors dimmed too.

lysol 02-19-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studgun (Post 761454)
Well I'll be damned. Didn't even know the side mirrors dimmed too.

Only flaw with the system is that they use the sensor on the rear view mirror instead of their own independent sensor. So if you are at a traffic light and someone is directly behind you with bright ass headlights, there headlights are blocked by the rear of your vehicle and the sensor on the rear view mirror doesn't receive the light. Then you are left with "undimmed" side mirrors for you to enjoy the full brunt of the light show behind you.

Studgun 02-19-2013 06:42 PM

Lucky we don't have traffic lights then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk