Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   oil control valve (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/oil-control-valve-54768.html)

ggtregre 02-14-2013 03:29 PM

oil control valve

I have a 2011 grand cherokee. Engine light came on. Dealer says its the oil control valve. I have been drive jeep cherokees since 1985. And this is the first problem. The vehicle has 13000 miles on lt. Should I be worried after the repair. All of my previous jeeps were traded in at about 100000 miles.

DavidB 03-20-2013 12:00 PM

Re: oil control valve

I would be courious about this also. My 2011 GC hemi overland has the same thing going on. Waiting on the part now. Can anybody with some knowledge of this enlighten me as to what the heck this thing is and were is it located. Im old school so I have never heard of a part like this. Only a oil pump in my days.

ggtregre 03-20-2013 04:41 PM

Jeep had our vehicle for a month. It's now repatred. The oil control valve controls the multi variable displacement system. They changed the oil control valve. Then couldn't time the engine. Next they changed the cam shaft position sensors to no avail. The changed the timing chain. Still no fix. The mechanic got fedup with following jeep techs and changed the oil control valve again. This fixed the problem. Jeep had sent him a bad oil control valve the first time. The second time he took one from his inventory. There is a good explaination if you google jeep hemi multi displacement system. Hope they can fix it fast. Got jeep customer service involved. They are a feel good system but they rent us a car till the jeep was repaired. Been owning jeeps since 1985 this is the first time needed a repair except for a battery replacement. Good luck.

BuckeyeSRT 03-21-2013 07:43 AM

Any symptoms prior to the light coming on?

DavidB 03-21-2013 08:34 AM

none for me. Had the oil changed in the afternoon. drove it 100 miles then the next morning I couldn't start it with the fob so I got into it to start it and the light came on and stayed on for almost the whole day. Cruise would not work and it shifted weird

suzieque 03-21-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggtregre (Post 784393)
There is a good explaination if you google jeep hemi multi displacement system.

yup, interesting read, seems to have something to do with controlling the MDS.

ggtregre 03-21-2013 11:08 AM

It has everythingntodo with th MDS. It controls the hydrulics to the lifters to shutdown r of the cylinders. Had no problem untill
The check eng lite came on. Cruise control didn't work and engine wouldn't go into econo mode.

DavidB 03-21-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggtregre (Post 784874)
It has everythingntodo with th MDS. It controls the hydrulics to the lifters to shutdown r of the cylinders. Had no problem untill
The check eng lite came on. Cruise control didn't work and engine wouldn't go into econo mode.

I think you nailed it GG ill be courious what happens when my part comes in......to be continued

BuckeyeSRT 03-25-2013 10:23 AM

No change in fuel millage?

padgett 03-25-2013 06:58 PM

Hmmm changed the oil and shortly thereafter a control valve in the oiling system failed. Be interesting to see if it is clogged with something. If so, more might be elsewhere.

BuckeyeSRT 03-03-2014 02:31 PM

Mine is bad and I am hoping my MPG will come back to what it was 2+ mpg