Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   TB ported and polished review! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/tb-ported-and-polished-review-5477.html)

iJeep 01-10-2010 10:27 PM

TB ported and polished review!

Alright my JG friends. Here is the story.

Since TB ported and polished became a very popular subject here at JG, I decided to do some research about it. Needless to say it is a MUST DO MOD, especially 3.7s with not much out there for us. During my research, I came across the name Fastman in almost every search I did with very positive feed backs. I decided to order one. They are $230 before the core exchange program (-$40). Then, Irf called me asking if I want his Ryan's TB for an amazing reduced price, because he got the wrong one. Great! I thought would be a good opportunity to compare, test and most importantly, I'd be able to give JG a great and thorough review.

As you can see on the pics below, Ryan's TB had a wider opening than Fastman. But on the other hand, Fastman has much more smoother and polished finish to it, and also has a thinner profile throttle valve... and the stock.. Well, it's just crap!

First, I installed Ryan's and drove for about an hour, from Brooklyn NY to NJ. Then I installed the Fastman. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the two, except Ryan's maybe a little louder. But as far as performance, I could definitely feel the difference between any of the two, compared to stock. The Jeep seems much quicker, from 0 to 60, I think I lost a full sec. From 40 to 80, WOW! amazing. It is definitely a mod I recommend. Either one, Ryan's or Fastman are both awesome. It really depends on your budget. ... Go get one! :thumbsup:

http://frproduction.com/tb_stock.jpg
http://frproduction.com/tb_ryan.jpg
http://frproduction.com/tb_fastman.jpg

installation is easy and quick. You will need a flat screw driver and a Hex 8mm or 3/8" socket. that's all.

Additional mods during test.
K&N 63 Series Air Charger Intake Kit.
Stock exhaust.
Power Wire from AIR RAM.

Cheers. :D

LTrainGC 01-10-2010 10:29 PM

Re: TB ported and polished review!

After reading this, a ported TB is on my list o' mods. Thanks for the write up!!

Chaoul1 01-10-2010 10:30 PM

That's real cool! Nice mod too! From what it seems I guess it is a "Must Mod" On my List for my WK then.

Frankie 01-10-2010 10:47 PM

The FastMan def looks nicer thats for sure, But it not like you can see it when its installed!

Not sure why anyone would buy the FastMan over Ryans if the performance is close to the same!

Ill take performance and price over performance and looks anyday!

Chuck 01-10-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxSTUGOTSxox (Post 129603)
The FastMan def looks nicer thats for sure, But it not like you can see it when its installed!

Not sure why anyone would buy the FastMan over Ryans if the performance is close to the same!

x2 Flyin Ryan FTW :lol:

robpp 01-10-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxSTUGOTSxox (Post 129603)

hmmmmm reminds me of tune conversations.

i cant help but respond frankie......

while what fabian installed may be great and perform the same as the fastmans, ryan does it all by hand and may never duplicate that exact size and shape again. it may be close, and i dont know if it matters, but he can never match it exactly. or I should say knowingly match it exactly. he could just by chance.

where fastman does his on a cnc machine where every one is exactlly the same.

in my mind 'you get what you pay for' .............

and the cheapest guy on the block may not always be the best option!

now lets get fabs to ETOWN and do 3 runs back to back and really see the numbers.

Frankie 01-10-2010 11:50 PM

^^^I agree with you Rob!

DJ BoNiOmArIo 01-11-2010 12:02 AM

Nice write up Fabian

FlyinRyan 01-11-2010 12:28 AM

Wow, I was not aware that you had a Fastman TB too Fabian. Thank you so much for conducting a unbiased, no-nonsense (albeit not exactly scientific) review of both TBs. While this isn't being done in a ISO 9001 certified lab, it doesn't get any better than this, folks!

A few statements, clarifications, and notes:

Naturally because I port stock castings (just like Dan Arcand bores stock castings too), my TBs and his are often compared. Frankly for me, such a comparison is flattering.

Dan does FANTASTIC work, and he's a real nice guy to boot. I've never bought anything off of him myself but I've sent other people his way for TBs and I've shot questions off of him a time or two.

There is a place for both TBs, the way I see it.

If you are looking for a show-quality piece, buy the Fastman. Or better yet, spend the 375 (or more) on the F&B/MHP/MM/Arrington throttle bodies, as those are well ahead of anything you can do to a stock casting.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative that is not quite show-quality, but works more than well enough for most...you may want to consider talking to me.

Rob is correct in that I have no means, at this time anyways, of verifying the size of a TB inlet from one to another. I can verify the backside, thanks to templates that I have made. I am purchasing a tool that will allow me to make crude inlet measurements at least, to back up what I sense by touch and by sight. Because of the way I port the TBs (the 4.7 and 3.7's in particular), it's not as simple as just measuring the diameter, as it tapers to the blade size.

As far for the remarks that Fabian and some others have made about the finish, the more TBs I do, the more pieces I purchase to use at my disposal to decrease turnaround time, enhance the overall quality and finish, and to turn out a better product. I have some more equipment coming in this week. It should also be noted that I can do a finer (e.g. mirror) polish, but Irf either did not opt for it or we did not discuss it. Fabian and I discussed it and we concluded that he would try it basically as-is. 06Grand4.7 has a mirror-polished FRP TB and he is happy with it. I have offered (prior to this review being made) to mirror polish Fabian's 3.7 FRP TB for a minimal fee, should he decide he wants something more.

I'd be more than happy to submit a TB for an independent flow bench test. that would really be the most accurate way of determining where these ported/bored stock casting TBs stand. The results would be fascinating to say the least!

Thanks again Fabian...it would appear that the reviews continue to speak for themselves. :D

Frankie 01-11-2010 12:38 AM

Nice post Ryan! I def LOVE mine!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlyinRyan 01-11-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxSTUGOTSxox (Post 129708)
Nice post Ryan! I def LOVE mine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Frankie. When you gonna quit slackin and post up a review of your own??

Frankie 01-11-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepy4.7 (Post 129717)
Thanks Frankie. When you gonna quit slackin and post up a review of your own??

Tomorrow...I promise! ;):cool::thumbsup: