Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   What differential lube to use (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/what-differential-lube-to-use-54779.html)

RJ'sWJ 02-14-2013 07:02 PM

What differential lube to use

1 Attachment(s)
I'll be changing all the fluids underneath this weekend along with new Bilstein shocks I got today. My question is, what lube to use? My Haynes manual says to use 75W-90 in the front and 90W in the rear.
I was at my local Jeep dealer parts dept a while ago and they were nice enough to print out the vehicle information report for my specific Jeep.
See the photo and then tell me what lube you think it should be.
What do you run in yours? Brand?

Thanks.

Frango100 02-14-2013 07:53 PM

Re: What differential lube to use

My jeep has open diffs (Quadra tracII) and i use 80W90 (mineral oil) in front and rear diffs.
If you have vari-Loks inside the diffs ( which i doubt, but for Quadra-Drive in front and rear or only in rear with a tow package), then you need the 75W140 (synthetic) with limited slip additive. Also if you do a lot of towing or other heavy work, the 75W140 should be used in the rear diff.
Front diff takes 1.18 Lts or 2.5 pts and rear diff takes 1.66 Lts or 3.5 pts.

RJ'sWJ 02-14-2013 08:04 PM

I have Selec Trac. I don't know if I have vari-locks inside the diffs.
I don't do any towing.

Frango100 02-14-2013 08:18 PM

I donīt think that your jeep is Quadra Drive, because then it should have the NV247 T-case. Not sure if a Vari-lok would fit in the Dana 35, i think its normally only used in the Dana 44. If your jeep doesnīt have the factory tow package, then there should be no vari-lok in the rear diff. In that case, you would only need the 80W90 fluid, 3 Lts or 6 pts in total. You will also need silicone sealant, to seal the diff covers. Also loosen first the fill plugs on the covers, before loosening the covers and draining the fluid, because sometimes the plugs are rotten in place and canīt be removed. That would not be a good thing to discover when the diff is already empty. The front diff cover can be accessed easily with the jeep on the ground, but for the rear one you have to lift the back of the jeep, to get access to the upper diff cover bolts.

RJ'sWJ 02-14-2013 08:29 PM

The T-Case is NV242 per the spec sheet.
Sounds like the 80W90 is the ticket.
Have you ever just pumped out the diffs without taking off the covers?
I would think you wouldn't quite get all the old fluid out, but it would be a lot easier.
Thanks for all the help.

kennzz05 02-14-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ'sWJ (Post 760221)
The T-Case is NV242 per the spec sheet.
Sounds like the 80W90 is the ticket.
Have you ever just pumped out the diffs without taking off the covers?
I would think you wouldn't quite get all the old fluid out, but it would be a lot easier.
Thanks for all the help.

seems like leaving any fluid and or metal shavings in there would negate the whole point of changing the fluid

RJ'sWJ 02-14-2013 08:34 PM

Good point.

Frango100 02-15-2013 06:45 AM

Since you only do this job once in a while, you better take the whole cover off. You will change all fluid in this way and can also inspect the ring gear and pinions for abnormal wear.