Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Shock absorber (struts) question? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/shock-absorber-struts-question-54803.html)

Surfer01 02-15-2013 04:40 AM

Shock absorber (struts) question?

The right hand shock absorber is leaking fluid and needs to be replaced. Dealer has suggested that it is best to replace the one on the left side at the same time. This is an eye watering 450 for both.
The one on the left side was replaced 2 years ago or 17,000 miles ago. Is there any necessity to replace both?

IDOCTCC 02-15-2013 10:42 AM

Re: Shock absorber (struts) question?

Common practice is to replace both at the same time. For instances like this where the other one goes out just a little bit later. I do everything like this, any moving or wearable part. If one goes I replace the other.

Surfer01 02-15-2013 11:34 AM

Thanks. I managed to find suitable equivalent Monroe shocks for 162 saving me nearly 70. I will get dealer to fit them.

brentwoodkris 02-15-2013 02:27 PM

Put them in yourself and save a bunch of $$$.

stashgto 02-15-2013 02:33 PM

Like kris said if you can do them yourself it would save some coin. Either way I suggest also buying new strut tops. One of my old tops has gone bad after putting in struts, and now I have to take it apart again.

Surfer01 02-16-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 760664)
Put them in yourself and save a bunch of $$$.

If I was 20 years younger without arthritis, I would certainly consider it, however the general consensus is that the shocks on the 2005-2010 3.0L diesel are not straight forward to change and it can be a bit complex.

jjt250 02-16-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfer01 (Post 761008)
If I was 20 years younger without arthritis, I would certainly consider it, however the general consensus is that the shocks on the 2005-2010 3.0L diesel are not straight forward to change and it can be a bit complex.

Are you talking about the front or rear shocks? The rear shocks are extremely easy, 30 minutes max.

Surfer01 02-17-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjt250 (Post 761280)
Are you talking about the front or rear shocks? The rear shocks are extremely easy, 30 minutes max.

Front shocks. Our local garage will do the rear shocks, but are not willing to do the front ones even though I supplied a full workshop manual for the 3.0L CRD.
They do not like doing long involved jobs as turnover is affected and there is only the two of them. Otherwise I can highly recommend them for normal servicing etc.

jjt250 02-17-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfer01 (Post 761564)
Front shocks. Our local garage will do the rear shocks, but are not willing to do the front ones even though I supplied a full workshop manual for the 3.0L CRD.
They do not like doing long involved jobs as turnover is affected and there is only the two of them. Otherwise I can highly recommend them for normal servicing etc.

Oh okay. I can definitely see why you'd want the front shocks done professionally. They were a big pain for me, but the rears are much easier.

2005JGC 02-17-2013 11:50 AM

Thats interesting about your independent shop you use... the shop I work at I am the ONLY technician, if we get busy the owner will pull a car in and start working on it, but that doesnt happen too often. That said there is no job too big or too small. Right now I have the dash out of an 86 suzuki samari, a 00 jeep cherokee, and While both of those were apart I went and did oil filter adapter housing orings on an 89 jeep cherokee. Last week I did head gaskets on a subaru... maybe if they dont have a spring compressor, but honestly a shop that "cannot do it" scares me for what they claim they can do, struts and shocks are really not difficult with the right tools.

I wouldnt trust a shop that only does maintainence "just for quick turnover" to maintain my baby, some glorified lube techs? And worse they will tell you they cannot do simple jobs... wow. How that shop stays in business is beyond me. I wouldnt be walking away from a shop that said they couldnt do my shocks "because turn around time" I would be RUNNING away!

Surfer01 02-17-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 761670)
Thats interesting about your independent shop you use... the shop I work at I am the ONLY technician, if we get busy the owner will pull a car in and start working on it, but that doesnt happen too often. That said there is no job too big or too small. Right now I have the dash out of an 86 suzuki samari, a 00 jeep cherokee, and While both of those were apart I went and did oil filter adapter housing orings on an 89 jeep cherokee. Last week I did head gaskets on a subaru... maybe if they dont have a spring compressor, but honestly a shop that "cannot do it" scares me for what they claim they can do, struts and shocks are really not difficult with the right tools.

I wouldnt trust a shop that only does maintainence "just for quick turnover" to maintain my baby, some glorified lube techs? And worse they will tell you they cannot do simple jobs... wow. How that shop stays in business is beyond me. I wouldnt be walking away from a shop that said they couldnt do my shocks "because turn around time" I would be RUNNING away!

Both techs are very qualified and have an excellent reputation. Both previously worked for Toyota and will handle the big jobs on those motors. However in our neck of the woods it is very rare for them to see a Jeep GC and I think they are being very responsible stating that they don't really want to do that sort of job.

2005JGC 02-17-2013 12:15 PM

Being in the biz I dont see it that way... shocks and struts are entry level work, you can go to midas where they have a GED and they do them on any make and model (not trying to bash midas, sorry if you work there, some techs are better than others). Them telling you no while it may seem responsible to you it is simply because they are greedy and would rather make you deal with the hassle of finding another shop that will than risk not making every penny they sold the job for. ANYONE can do struts and shocks, them making you take extra steps is them simply telling you "we might not make enough money so come back when you have brainless gravy for us".