Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Need some measurements please (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/need-some-measurements-please-54817.html)

myoung84 02-15-2013 03:02 PM

Need some measurements please

I need some back seat measurements from you guys, if you don't mind. I have a 2014 Overland on order and I'm curious as to how a car seat and two dog carriers will fit, I have a baby on the way and we have two smaller dogs that must travel with us. My wife currently drives an SRT8 Charger, which will absolutely not fit a baby and two dog carriers, which is why it's getting replaced with the Jeep.

My first thought was to put the dogs in the cargo area, which might still have to happen. I was then thinking that maybe the smaller carrier could go in the floor, larger one in the seat, and baby on the side. The smaller carrier is 23"L x 12"T x 14.5"W. This width is at the center, it's closer to 13" on the tops and bottoms. Is there any way that this carrier will fit on the floor behind the driver seat with a 6' driver? I would need around 14" of space between the back of the driver seat and front of the rear seat cushion.

Second thought was to lay down the driver side of the rear seat and place the dog carriers on that with the car seat on the smaller passenger side. Is there enough room width wise on for the carriers to set side by side? Total width would be about 31".

I know that option 1 works in my truck, but it's not really a good road trip vehicle at 10-12 MPG. (2012 Ram Power Wagon)

Thanks in advance!

Scottina06 02-15-2013 04:10 PM

Re: Need some measurements please

cargo and rear seating dimensions havent changed from MY13 to MY14. The info should be here somewhere or at wk2jeeps.com

Specx 02-15-2013 04:16 PM

I remember seeing a big thread here not too long ago about car seats in the current models. The big issue is with rear facing seats since the rear seats don't slide back and some need to have the front seat up more than they liked. We're going to face the same issue, but I haven't told my wife since she would have said no to the GC and forced me to buy the Tahoe/Yukon instead.

myoung84 02-15-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 760717)
I remember seeing a big thread here not too long ago about car seats in the current models. The big issue is with rear facing seats since the rear seats don't slide back and some need to have the front seat up more than they liked. We're going to face the same issue, but I haven't told my wife since she would have said no to the GC and forced me to buy the Tahoe/Yukon instead.

Same here. She wants to keep car and use the truck as the traveling vehicle. I love my Power Wagon, but it sucks for traveling and we have family scattered all over Oklahoma...

myoung84 02-15-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 760712)
cargo and rear seating dimensions havent changed from MY13 to MY14. The info should be here somewhere or at wk2jeeps.com

I remember seeing a couple of big car seat threads, but nothing with the measurements I am looking for. Don't see what I'm looking for on wk2jeeps either. I've read so much over the last few weeks that my eyes are about to bleed? :D

Scottina06 02-15-2013 04:25 PM

try this thread my friend

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/interi...ons-13955.html

myoung84 02-15-2013 04:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 760728)

That really doesn't show what I'm looking for either. I've posted a couple of pics of the dimensions I am looking for.

It would be awesome if someone could tell me how far the passenger seat has to be moved forward to get 14.5" from the front seat back to the rear seat cushion. The passenger seat will already have to me moved pretty far up from what I can tell so the smaller dog carrier just might fit in the floor.

scooterha 02-15-2013 07:37 PM

I would go to the dealer and ask if you could test drive one, take it home and do the measurements.

Sturgie525 02-15-2013 09:44 PM

We have a 2012 and have a rear facing Britax Marathon 70 behind the driver's seat. I am 5'7" and my husband is 5'11". With a rear facing seat you don't want the back of the seat touching the top of the car seat so you do need to have a little room between them, I would say we have maybe 2 inches. I would prefer the seat be back a little bit but it is fine where it is. There is also the option to put the car seat on the passenger side but the way our garage is, that just isn't possible unless I wanted to back out before I put the baby in. As for your dog carriers, I think having two in the backseat would be a pretty tight fit. I think having them strapped down in the cargo area is probably safest. We have two bulldogs and they go in the back, along with a weathertech floor mat for all the dog hair. Another thing to think about, if you were in an accident and the vehicle rolled, you wouldn't want two dog crates flying around the vehicle and landing on your baby. Also, for longer car rides, someone might want to ride in the back with the baby to keep him/her occupied. Having a screaming baby while driving does not do a person good. In short, my opinion is move dogs to cargo area and strap the crates down.

ChrisOC 02-16-2013 12:53 PM

You know, you could always put the misses in the cargo area or on the roof, freeing up the front seat for the dogs on the long trips.

Kidding aside, this person below brings up a strong and largely overlooked problem. Those two dog crates will become little missiles in the unfortunate event of an accident, ESP if they are right below and next to your baby. I personally would tie them down in the back. Maybe also get a cargo container for the top or one of those tow hitch kinds. IMO , with 2 adults, a baby and two dogs and all the gear that goes along with road trips, you may just want to get one anyways.

Just my thoughts

Ps fwiw, just going on road trips with another person doesn't leave a ton of space leftover. Then again, that is usually bulky camping gear.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sturgie525 (Post 760912)
As for your dog carriers, I think having two in the backseat would be a pretty tight fit. I think having them strapped down in the cargo area is probably safest. We have two bulldogs and they go in the back, along with a weathertech floor mat for all the dog hair. Another thing to think about, if you were in an accident and the vehicle rolled, you wouldn't want two dog crates flying around the vehicle and landing on your baby. Also, for longer car rides, someone might want to ride in the back with the baby to keep him/her occupied. Having a screaming baby while driving does not do a person good. In short, my opinion is move dogs to cargo area and strap the crates down.

myoung84 02-16-2013 01:47 PM

Thanks for the replies! You all have some good points, I think I'll just toss the carriers in the back, tied down of course. I guess I should mention that the dogs wouldn't be with us all the time, they get dropped off at the in laws for dog sitting if we go anywhere. They are an hour away so that's the only time they will travel in the vehicle.