Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Upper Radiator Hose (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/upper-radiator-hose-54818.html)

06HemiLtd 02-15-2013 03:39 PM

Upper Radiator Hose

I've noticed a very small loss of coolant over the past few months. My jeep is an 06 Hemi with 70k miles. I noticed a little antifreeze below the thermostat housing and I'm sure it's coming from the upper radiator hose. Dealer wants $108, Advance Auto $26, online $16. Any suggestions on which one to get. Any experience with any brand vs. another.

DannyVtCa 02-15-2013 06:23 PM

Re: Upper Radiator Hose

Mopar parts are best quality. Look at wholesalemopar they give it to you usually $30 dollar discount to dealership. Ground shipping is reasonable. If you have it off you might think about doing the thermostat at the same time if you have a ton a miles. Mine had a rubber gasket like material on the back side that was completely not attached anymore after 60k. To bleed the air from your system pop the little screw on the front side of the thermostat with an Allen wrench. Try to keep coolant from getting on the serpentine belt too.

bluethunderjeep 02-16-2013 12:02 AM

I had a similar leak and it turned out to be the above mentioned rubber gasket on the thermostat.

06HemiLtd 02-16-2013 06:58 AM

thanks for the replies. upon further inspection yesterday, it is in fact leaking from the thermostat housing. i could see some antifreeze on the engine block and the hose/clamp area was dry. i ran my finger under the housing and it had antifreeze. i've had a jet 180 laying around for awhile so i'll probably just throw it in. should i put any type of gasket sealer around the housing too.

Madanio24 02-16-2013 03:45 PM

I did not use any gasket sealer on it, the housing has a gasket already. Mines been fine and that was over 30K ago. Its pretty simple to replace but dont get frustrated if there is alot of air in the colling system you will have to be patient when you bleed it with the engine running.

DannyVtCa 02-18-2013 09:04 PM

Make sure you pop the little plug on the front of the water pump to bleed he system. It is vital. I found this out because i could not get the plug out at 65k when I drained the system for the first time, because that plug was just plain stuck and stripped. I just tried to purge the air from he system the best I could. At 83k I pulled my heads and the rear coolant passage on the passenger side was all gummed up from and air bubble obviously blocking the passage... Kind of looked like bubble gum in there. If I had continued the drive the jeep it would have eventually blown the head gasket near that rear cylinder and air filled coolant passage. I replaced my water pump when I did my build and bleed the system properly this time.

goflick 02-23-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiLtd (Post 760698)
I've noticed a very small loss of coolant over the past few months. My jeep is an 06 Hemi with 70k miles. I noticed a little antifreeze below the thermostat housing and I'm sure it's coming from the upper radiator hose. Dealer wants $108, Advance Auto $26, online $16. Any suggestions on which one to get. Any experience with any brand vs. another.

I just replaced both of my radiator hoses with Gates hoses I got on Amazon for $25. I've used gates hoses in the past and never had an issue with them. I try to use OEM parts whenever I can but not for 4X's the cost of a quality proven name.