Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   05 JGC Limited tranny (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/05-jgc-limited-tranny-54821.html)

Tim2 02-15-2013 04:43 PM

05 JGC Limited tranny

So I just purchased a Grand cherokee limited. It has the 5.7 hemi. Drove fine at the stealership. Drive home 70 miles from dealer and its fine. Next day the tranny seems to be jumping out of gear when I put the throttle down to accelerate quickly. It acts almost like a slip but then it catches and puts you back in the seat hard then slips again then catches. I tried to floor it when in tow haul mode and it accelerates and shifts fine. Also it seems to slip when using the auto stick to shift. Any ideas on what the problem might be from before I comtact the dealer?:confused:

Tim2 02-15-2013 04:56 PM

Re: 05 JGC Limited tranny

Also forgot to mention,not sure if the transmission is shifting into top gear. It is running at 2 thousand rpm at 60 mph. This seems higher than my 04 with the same 3.73 ratio. I tried using the auto stick to shift down a gear and it goes into 4 th on the display but no change in rpm.

DannyVtCa 02-15-2013 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crawl under the jeep and look for signs of oil leakage from around the tranny pan. 2nd get the tranny oil up to full operating temp. Put it in neutral and apply the parking brake and keep engine running, pull out dipstick on passenger side right below the windshield. It is crappy to read and I have a hell of a time getting a proper reading because a lot of the red ATF gets up in the tube and screws up the reading. I just use castrol ATF+4 since it is half as much as mopar stuff, and easy to get at auto parts stores. I didn't think mine was low, dump a whole quart in and solved my idling issue... Pull the dipstick and it doesn't look any different than before.

Also, the tranny cooler lines leak up near the radiator on almost all jeeps after a certain amount of time. You will see them cross just above the lower coolant radiator hose on the passenger side. Not an expensive fix... They are 39 from wholesalemopar. But a bitch to install.

If pour a bottle of ATF +4 doesn't help your looking at maybe new internal filters and a drain. There are write ups for that. But before you do that I'd like to here from others because some components like the solenoid can go bad. If you need internal component fix its good to properly diagnose because it will be drained no matter what to fix.

Also check the level of the transfer case. Ill attached a pic. Should be up to the fill hole. Which is the one that is wet... Damn glad I checked, need to tighten it up a bit

DannyVtCa 02-15-2013 05:49 PM

Mines runs 2k at 60 mph, sometimes you can get it to kick down to 1800-1900 when you increase the speed to 62-63 in cruise. But solve your problem first, might be wacky because of your issues.

Tim2 02-15-2013 06:06 PM

Ok will check tranny fluid level in the morning. I did look at the color of the fluid before I bought the jeep. It looked to be fairly new. Does not smell burnt at all so maybe it's just low. The tranny pan and tranny itself do not appear to have any leaks. The jeep has 87000 miles and is clean as a whistle.

DannyVtCa 02-15-2013 06:20 PM

Congrats on your purchase, welcome to the family

jeepgcoman 02-15-2013 10:41 PM

Welcome, Tim. All I can say is, make sure you nip this in the bud to preclude future issues. Very soon after I bought mine, I did a trans. fluid/filter change. The 05's and some of the 06's had a TSB for the return (spin on) filter. You may want to check on that first. Like Dan said, your RPM at 60 sounds about right. I think mine is more like 1800 (5th gear) at 60. Just did a little (800 miles) trip last week and will report that mine runs at 6000 RPM at 120 mph in 4th gear. First and last time I think I'll do that. After doing it, I thought how stupid it was, even though the road was long, straight and almost no one around....except the Camaro trying to keep up with me.

Tim2 02-15-2013 10:52 PM

I had wondered about the spin on filter. I was under the impression that their are two spin on filters in these trannies. I was on another site that uses your vin number to check for recalls and such and it said there are no active recalls on my vin. However I was planning on takeing a look under the tranny pan to see what the deal is. I may take it to the dealer to have the whole thing up to snuff with new filters and fluid. 120 mph is hauling in a jeep. I have run my motorcycle to 148 but never had my jeep that fast.

DannyVtCa 02-16-2013 02:49 AM

Hey jeepcogman, that is really fast in a jeep... quite impressed. Did you beat the Camaro? How does the jeep feel at 120 mph? Does the front end feel light?

Tim2 02-16-2013 08:29 AM

My 04 jeep would suprise alot of people from stop light to stop light. I had the 4.7 HO. that jeep I took to 100 and it was still pulling pretty hard. I think my 05 is capable of being faster but this tranny issue is holding me back.

4.whoa 02-16-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 760950)
mine runs at 6000 RPM at 120 mph in 4th gear. First and last time I think I'll do that. After doing it, I thought how stupid it was, even though the road was long, straight and almost no one around....except the Camaro trying to keep up with me.

You were taking it waaay to easy on him, for sure.:p

Tim2 02-16-2013 03:31 PM

Well checked the tranny fluid level this morning. Thanks DannyVtCa it was a little low. I added a quart and a half of Castrol Atf+4 and took the jeep for a spin. Oh hell ya what a difference. Shifted real nice at wide open throttle and just cruising around. Also the rpm at 60 mph was a little lower. I am guessing around 1800. Awesome now I don't have to take it in to the stealership. Thanks again for the reply's.:D