Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   driver side door hinge replacement? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/driver-side-door-hinge-replacement-54830.html)

rejekted rekoning 02-15-2013 07:23 PM

driver side door hinge replacement?

recently, we had some high winds that basically ripped the door out of my hand as i was opening it. the wind blew the door wide open. slight rubbing against the fender now and i hear major amounts of wind noise coming from the top part of the door. it also drips during heavy rains now. also, it seems about 1/8-1/4 out of alignment. is it possible the door got knocked out of alignment, or did one or both of the hinges get bent? i did a forum search and found that the hinges seem to flex when the door opens for some people, but didn't notice it myself. i'm suspecting damaged hinges, personally, so how difficult is it to replace them?

Bikemobile 02-16-2013 08:10 AM

Re: driver side door hinge replacement?

Bent hinges. Same thing happened to me strong wind gust bent mine. Dealer replaced under 3/36 warranty. When i looked at it it did not seem like a diy.

dr.lee.baugh 02-16-2013 11:59 AM

Replacing the hinges is pretty easy (especially if you have people to help hold the door - they are deceptively heavy once un-hinged).

Getting the door lined up correctly is no easy task. I would take it to a body shop and let them mess around with it...

rejekted rekoning 02-22-2013 05:11 PM

bought the hinges and paint today. hinges from jeeppartsdepot.com. upper and lower hinges for the left front cost me $90.46 shipped. paint is from automotivetouchup.com. ordered a rattle can of primer, base coat matching my paint code, and clear coat for a total of $44.66 shipped. when i get the hinges and paint, i'll post pics of the repair process for those of you who work on your own vehicles.

2Sh3a 03-01-2014 11:44 AM

Shot in the dark asking but did you ever fix this? I have the same issue.

rejekted rekoning 03-01-2014 04:07 PM

unfortunately, i wrecked my other car and spent the entire summer getting that put back together. kinda difficult to do when you have to contend with weather due to not having a garage to work on. those door hinges, however, are my big spring project, along with the rust repair from this brutal winter. question i have for you, though. is your door lock actuator giving you trouble unlocking remotely? mine won't unlock with my key fob, i have to use the actual key. it also makes a hell of a noise.

2Sh3a 03-01-2014 04:15 PM

No my lock works fine. I just can't take the horrible wind noise when driving on the highway! It looks like I have about a 1/4" gap at the top of the door.

2Sh3a 03-01-2014 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what mine looks like.

rejekted rekoning 03-01-2014 04:39 PM

the hinges from jeeppartsdepot.com were the cheapest i've found on the internet and far cheaper than the dealership. they come unpainted and unprimed, which is why i got the stuff from automotivetouchup.com. the primer, paint, and clear coat all are available in spray paint form. basically, i have the hinges painted and ready to be put on. hopefully, the weather will permit me to do it in the spring. btw, the door lock actuator worked fine for me at first, then started going bad after a few months. i also have a bit of rub between the door and fender, so now i get to fix the small marks from that.

rejekted rekoning 03-01-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Sh3a (Post 984543)
This is what mine looks like.

as bad as that looks, i'd personally take it to a body shop to assure that the door itself isn't warped

2Sh3a 03-01-2014 05:25 PM

Yeah I have the fender rub as well whenever I open and close the door. Looks like I will be taking a trip to the body shop this week. I just don't want to take the door off and replace the hinges just to find out my door itself is warped and is the problem.

I finally have a garage to work in so I'm not really scared of replacing the hinges but I don't really have the tools or know how to fix a warped door :/

coldstack 03-07-2014 08:14 AM

2Sh3a, rejekted rekoning,

I'm glad to see some recent posts on this issue. I've been suffering from a bent driver side door hinge (hopefully not warped door) for over a year on my 2007 GC, just been extremely busy to fix it. The two bolt design doesn't stand a chance against the high winds in Newfoundland.

I don't drive on the highway often but if I get over 50 mph I hear the airflow coming in through the gap, annoying. I also get a little rub against the fender, but no noticeable paint damage yet. Lock works fine.

2Sh3a - your gap looks a lot worse than mine. I'm trying to decide whether to purchase hinges myself and try to replace it in my buddy's garage (he has every imaginable tool and he's pretty crafty) or bring it back to an auto body shop. I did have a guy look at it last year when this first happened and he said something like $600 to replace the hinges. He put some epoxi behind the hinge base but that only lasted about 10 minutes.

rejekted rekoning - thanks for the link to parts. Any thoughts about using the 2009+ GC hinges? Apparently they have a 3-bolt configuration.