Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   iPhone5 Navigation over Bluetooth/Uconnect (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/iphone5-navigation-over-bluetooth-uconnect-54857.html)

markp99 02-16-2013 02:29 PM

iPhone5 Navigation over Bluetooth/Uconnect

Longtime Android user, recently forced to switch over to iPhone for work. Anyhoo...

Today I was dinking around with the phone in the car, paired via bluetooth, no issues. When I tried navigation using Google Maps, the turn-by-turn instructions played over the radio. Hmmm, unexpected; Android never did that.

Initially I thought that was pretty cool, except when I discovered that Uconnect will report "Phone Call Completed" over the radio after EACH and EVERY turn-by-turn instruction. My cell phone number appears on the Radio Display when instructions play. OK, not as cool as I thought :)

Anyone play with this? Anyway to get Uconnect NOT to treat these instructions as Phone Calls?

Suggestions?

BuckeyeSRT 02-19-2013 01:57 PM

Re: iPhone5 Navigation over Bluetooth/Uconnect

I thought it was cool at first too but "phone call completed" will drive a sane man crazy

markp99 02-19-2013 09:33 PM

Ha, I think I found a bit of a workaround during my 5hr trip to the NYC area tonite.

I noticed while navigatoing the BT symbol does NOT appear on the radio display as expected, but battery indicator is visible - strange. Lead me to think about first forcing an active BT connection:

Here is what I did:

1. Select Radio > Aux > iPhone Device
2. Initiate a BT Stream (music player, slacker, spotify, whatever)
3. Initiate Navigation
4. Navigation instructions play over the radio
5. NO MORE - "phone call complete" - YAY!!
6. Pausing the BT music stream still permits nav instructions over BT

So, not optimal:

1. Cannot play normal Radio, HDD, Sat
2. But you CAN stream you music library from your phone, or from an app like Slacker/Spotify

When travelling long distance I actually prefer NOT to chase around for local radio stations and never use Sat.

So, very workable for me!

BuckeyeSRT 02-20-2013 02:21 PM

like it

xsdbs 02-20-2013 02:34 PM

What radio do you have? This is "APPLE" and not Uconnect. You see The golden APPLE simulates a phone call to your voice mail in order to have SIRI, Visual Voice Mail, Voice memos and apparently the Nav app play over the audio system. This also why you see your phone # on the radio screen. You're hearing the "call completed" because after the instructions are given, Apple ends the phone call to your VM and the call is "completed". If you're on a call, when you end the call you will hear "call completed".

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp99 (Post 763412)
Ha, I think I found a bit of a workaround during my 5hr trip to the NYC area tonite.

I noticed while navigatoing the BT symbol does NOT appear on the radio display as expected, but battery indicator is visible - strange. Lead me to think about first forcing an active BT connection:

Here is what I did:

1. Select Radio > Aux > iPhone Device
2. Initiate a BT Stream (music player, slacker, spotify, whatever)
3. Initiate Navigation
4. Navigation instructions play over the radio
5. NO MORE - "phone call complete" - YAY!!
6. Pausing the BT music stream still permits nav instructions over BT

So, not optimal:

1. Cannot play normal Radio, HDD, Sat
2. But you CAN stream you music library from your phone, or from an app like Slacker/Spotify

When travelling long distance I actually prefer NOT to chase around for local radio stations and never use Sat.

So, very workable for me!

Cherokee Lady 07-01-2013 07:35 PM

I am joining in that this quite irritates me as well. Jeep Gr Cherokee 2009 with uconnect and nav. I use Iphone because it is MUCH easier to google business and enter addresses. I use both but Iphone much more. I appreciate having a workaround but it annoys me that is necessary. Poor testing! Of course this is annoying! Anyone else have answers from the maker? I don't hear of other systems in cars doing this e.g. Subaru does not with Iphone 5.

torifile 07-01-2013 07:40 PM

This is a google maps thing, not an Apple Maps thing. Try the iOS standard maps - it does not do this. Google did this work around to get audio playing over bluetooth for some reason.

Again, this is a google thing, not an iPhone/iOS/Apple thing.

Cherokee Lady 07-01-2013 10:21 PM

Thanks. I use Googlemaps a lot since it can search and find businesses much better than Imap. So I use all 3 map options as the need fits.