Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Navigation updates? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/navigation-updates-54871.html)

Ferri1c 02-16-2013 06:42 PM

Navigation updates?

Hi,

I just bought a used 2011 overland. It has the RER navigation system. So I followed the instruction for an update by going to naveq.com and it says $150 for an update!

They also said they do frequent updates all the time. So we really have to pay $150 every time?

Does anyone know if the updates also change the graphics, animations, and options? Reason I ask my cousin just bought a 2013 GC and his navigation has such a better animations and options then the one I have.

I can't BELEIVE they want $150 for a stupid update. I thought that would be free like iPhone does. Any feedback is much appreciated.

RageOfFury 02-16-2013 06:56 PM

There are radio improvements available free of charge through the dealership. However, with regards to nav updates, I do believe you have to pay for them. There are several threads in this section of the forum regarding nav updates. Check them out.

Jim_in_PA 02-17-2013 10:42 AM

Re: Navigation updates?

I haven't had a car yet with built-in nav that didn't require paying for updated maps...although I was certainly appreciative that my MY12 fell into the VINs that received the no-cost update a few months ago.

$150 isn't as bad as the cost to upgrade the maps in my wife's Subaru Outback! $245 for that one!

rich mac 02-17-2013 08:39 PM

I have an '11 Overland with the 730n RER system (build date Feb '11). I ordered the $149 update from navigation.com. I was disappointed with the result, two year old subdivisions and POIs were not included. I see no difference from the maps that came with the system.
I would not recommend the expense.

Ferri1c 02-18-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich mac (Post 761934)
I have an '11 Overland with the 730n RER system (build date Feb '11). I ordered the $149 update from navigation.com. I was disappointed with the result, two year old subdivisions and POIs were not included. I see no difference from the maps that came with the system.
I would not recommend the expense.

That's what I figured. I'd do it if that meant graphics and animations changed. But for outdated maps, forget it. Thanks for the feedback.

bill_de 02-18-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferri1c (Post 762600)
That's what I figured. I'd do it if that meant graphics and animations changed. But for outdated maps, forget it. Thanks for the feedback.

It was a few years after my subdivision was on any map. It turned out that the roads belonged to the builder all that time. Once the state took over the roads they started to show up on maps and gps. I haven't updated my '11 MDX which was built Oct. '10.

A couple of days ago Amazon had a 4" gps with free maps for life ... $93. Go figure.

Lambo 02-19-2013 03:41 PM

I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee 5.7 with the RER Nav system. I recently purchased the new 2013Nav updates for the maps & 2.404 software update. After "successful" installation, the Sirius Traffic & all traffic conditions on the map have stopped functioning. Worked fine right before the new software.
Navteq's response was to ask for the disks back to send another set out. I did & they were received 2/14, as of 2/19 their response is they are backed up sending out the repkacement disks (i.e. they know they have a problem & do not have a solution yet).
DO NOT install 2.404 Nav software update or the 2013 map updates from Navteq...

rich mac 02-19-2013 09:06 PM

I concur - after I installed the update the three little cars on the upper right of the screen turned orange, indicating traffic is no longer functioning. Too late for me!

Charger Tom 02-20-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambo (Post 763143)
I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee 5.7 with the RER Nav system. I recently purchased the new 2013Nav updates for the maps & 2.404 software update. After "successful" installation, the Sirius Traffic & all traffic conditions on the map have stopped functioning. Worked fine right before the new software.
Navteq's response was to ask for the disks back to send another set out. I did & they were received 2/14, as of 2/19 their response is they are backed up sending out the repkacement disks (i.e. they know they have a problem & do not have a solution yet).
DO NOT install 2.404 Nav software update or the 2013 map updates from Navteq...

I have a 2010 Charger and on 2/15 also "successfully" installed 2.404 and the EXACT same thing happened, my Sirius Traffic was gone and has been gone since. Navteq's advice over the phone, "Take it to the dealer." I did only because I was out of other options and the dealer said all they could do was replace the entire radio. (Sirius Radio and everything else work fine.) I have sent three separate e-mails to Navteq and they do not respond. Agree 100%...avoid Navteq 2.404 like the plague.

rich mac 02-20-2013 08:36 PM

Anybody try resetting the radio by pulling the fuse or other means to fix the traffic problem?

Charger Tom 02-20-2013 10:09 PM

Dealer said they tried a hard reset but it did not resolve the problem.