Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   How are mids and highs? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/how-are-mids-and-highs-54917.html)

Andoskyy 02-17-2013 04:32 PM

How are mids and highs?

I have a '14 Overland on order and was curious as to how the mids and highs are on the Overland system?

I know a lot of people give stock stereos a bad review because of lack of bass (And its distortion at higher volumes)

I'm more concerned with clarity and soundstage, as adding a sub is the easiest addition possible.

So with bass turned down, how does the overland handle its highs and lows, and how is overall volume? Do the speaker locations make for a good soundstage?

I'll obviously find out in a few weeks, but just curious.

thanks!

1stJeepGC 02-17-2013 05:30 PM

Re: How are mids and highs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 761788)
I have a '14 Overland on order and was curious as to how the mids and highs are on the Overland system?

I know a lot of people give stock stereos a bad review because of lack of bass (And its distortion at higher volumes)

I'm more concerned with clarity and soundstage, as adding a sub is the easiest addition possible.

So with bass turned down, how does the overland handle its highs and lows, and how is overall volume? Do the speaker locations make for a good soundstage?

I'll obviously find out in a few weeks, but just curious.

thanks!

Greetings,

In the 2014 Overland you should be getting the Alpine system, unless you are getting the Overland Summit which will be getting the HK system. With the Alpine you are getting the 6x9 and 1 inch soft dome tweeter for the front stage. The rest of the speakers make up the 7.1 surround system.

Experience Alpine - Jeep

As i tell folks, each person has a different precipitation on how speakers sound. For each is one, is the old expression. The other factor is the type of music you listen to. IMO, the system lacks detail in many areas. I do not like a 6x9 for mid-bass/midrange and in the Alpine it is missing the critical punch. I am not a fan of the metal based tweeters (ie. Focal, JBL) and their are silk (soft dome) tweeters that are far superior than is given to us. For a 7.1 system, it is under powered. Alpine had to follow the specifications of Chrysler when designing this system.

Which is why as read the various different threads, many have change components for a better sound. Some have gone back to the traditional front, rear and sub. Others have improved upon the surround system. Believe or not, some folks like how the system sounds. However, the speaker locations are set pretty good to work with when upgrading.

The bottom line, if you do not like the system, you will be spending some bucks to make it work. Otherwise, this Grand Cherokee is great.

Best for now.:)

Andoskyy 02-17-2013 06:56 PM

thank you for the reply and the link...very informative.

will most likely add a sub i have lying around, but would love for the door speakers to be sufficient. time will tell!

thanks again for the link...good stuff.

Andoskyy 02-19-2013 11:24 AM

Are you aware of a high pass filter for the stock subwoofer?

I read that the low pass filter is somewhere around 70hz, but if I'm tapping a LOC into the stock subwoofer wires and there is a low-pass filter on it at say ~30Hz...I won't get all the nice 20-30Hz signals the aftermarket sub can handle.

I feel like I experienced this in my Lexus. I tapped into the stock sub wires with a LOC and it was boomy and never dipped below maybe ~30Hz...even though the sub was more than capable of reproducing it.

Correct me if my thinking is wrong. I have lots of experience with 100% aftermarket speaker/sub/amp installations and tuning, but not a lot with keeping stock head units intact. Is this were a digital LOC, like a LC6i comes into play?

I just can't wrap my head around how you could tap into anything "post-factory amplifier", and won't carry along all the high pass/low pass filters with it.

Thanks again.

1stJeepGC 02-20-2013 12:09 AM

Greetings,

I do not know the exact crossover specifications of the DSP. Since, this is a light weight 8 inch sub, I have to speculate that this sub does not go down past 30 hz (cycles). Which why factory systems tend to protect the lower frequencies because they do not want to replace speakers. The problem is to over come either the high pass or the subsonic filter with in the factory system.

By using the right summing device, you can restore the signals. The following link to this thread and post # 43 lists some of the better summing devices on the market right now.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/updat...tml#post754943

I do not know the amp you have to drive your sub, but I would look into an aftermarket mono amp that has DSP built-in such as the Zapco or JBL:

Zapco - DC Series

JBL MS-A5001 Mono subwoofer amplifier 500 watts RMS x 1 at Crutchfield.com

At the end of the day, IMO, I see you changing the front speaker and adding an amp to power the front speakers in order to get the sound that you like. Those darn bucks again.

Radknight 09-20-2013 09:42 PM

From research and obsessively reading every thread on this and other forums and YouTube regarding the JCG Audio, I'm thinking the two cheapest and easiest upgrades to quickly improve the sound would be to stiffen up the sub box with a combo of dynamat/bed liner/bracing/polyfil and to replace the front 6 x 9's with quality 6.5's or at the least higher quality 6x9's. I'm thinking this is what I'll be doing the first week I own it. Between Launch Pad trials, of course. 8D

David_Hart 09-20-2013 11:29 PM

I find that the Alpine system is okay, but not great. It's fine for sports radio and general listening. However, I find that the highs are harsh in some songs, the bass is way too pronounced, and the mids are too low/muddled. This varies by songs. Some may be fine, some are OK, and some just make you cringe. I play rock, pop, techno, rap, rock classics (70's, 80's), etc. using an iPod. Most are 384K VBR MP3's.

Personally, I'm living with (i.e. gritting my teeth) the Alpine system until iDatalink releases their Uconnect compatible products. They have them for Ford Sync and GM OnStar. Uconnect is supposed to be next. iDatalink - Maestro - Home

This, in theory, will allow me to replace the Alpine head unit with a Kenwood while retaining most, if not all, of the Uconnect capabilities. I'll replace the speakers and AMP at the same time. At least, that's my plan.

Others have used channel summing devices, as per previous posts, and installed new AMPs, speakers, etc. This allows you to upgrade your audio system without replacing the Alpine Uconnect head unit. Supposedly, this produces good results, so the problem may not be the head unit but the factory AMP tuning with the factory speakers.

1stJeepGC 09-29-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Hart (Post 897117)
I find that the Alpine system is okay, but not great. It's fine for sports radio and general listening. However, I find that the highs are harsh in some songs, the bass is way too pronounced, and the mids are too low/muddled. This varies by songs. Some may be fine, some are OK, and some just make you cringe. I play rock, pop, techno, rap, rock classics (70's, 80's), etc. using an iPod. Most are 384K VBR MP3's.

Personally, I'm living with (i.e. gritting my teeth) the Alpine system until iDatalink releases their Uconnect compatible products. They have them for Ford Sync and GM OnStar. Uconnect is supposed to be next. iDatalink - Maestro - Home

This, in theory, will allow me to replace the Alpine head unit with a Kenwood while retaining most, if not all, of the Uconnect capabilities. I'll replace the speakers and AMP at the same time. At least, that's my plan.

Others have used channel summing devices, as per previous posts, and installed new AMPs, speakers, etc. This allows you to upgrade your audio system without replacing the Alpine Uconnect head unit. Supposedly, this produces good results, so the problem may not be the head unit but the factory AMP tuning with the factory speakers.

Greetings,

Your conclusion on the Alpine Premium Factory System is extremely accurate. The problem did not arise from Alpine rather the specifications that Alpine had to work with from Chrysler, especially in the beginning years of the WK2. The specification called for a general system that everybody can listen too. I can tell you after long drives with this system you develop listener fatigue. Long drives for me is any were from 3 to 14 hours.

I gave up the wait for iDatalink Maestro to come out for the uConnect. The Kenwood Exelon (890 or 990) head units is the way to go. Personally, as I have stated in this forum, I am not fond of the current crop of in-dash units.

I have not had a chance to listen to the 2014 systems with 8.4 head units with the Alpine factory system nor the HK based systems. I can tell you that in the 2011-2013, depending on the model, the head units were extremely weak. I can also tell you when I change out the 430 to my new unit, a small improvement were the imagery started to appear, but, the speakers were a problem. When we added the new mids and highs, an additional improvement happened. However, because of the way the factory amp is tuned and the power, you are limited in that improvement and not getting the full potential of a new head unit or speakers.

With regards to the factory sub woofer, in this great forum there are many reviews of that. IMO, not a winner.

After more that 2 1/2 years since I got my JGC, the replacement system has finally started. I am going for a sound quality remake (SQ) :cool: not going for a loud banging system (SPL). In the coming weeks, I will have a complete write up and of course pictures.

Best for now. :)

1stJeepGC 09-29-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radknight (Post 897065)
From research and obsessively reading every thread on this and other forums and YouTube regarding the JCG Audio, I'm thinking the two cheapest and easiest upgrades to quickly improve the sound would be to stiffen up the sub box with a combo of dynamat/bed liner/bracing/polyfil and to replace the front 6 x 9's with quality 6.5's or at the least higher quality 6x9's. I'm thinking this is what I'll be doing the first week I own it. Between Launch Pad trials, of course. 8D

Greetings,

Check your paperwork, I believe you are getting the HK system with Logic 7 built-in. I have not listen to that system, but it based on the European cars from MB, BMW, etc....

Check out this linK:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - SRT Harman Kardon premium audio system

I can tell you thru the years, I have always preferred Logic 7 over the other non-movie formats designed for music.

If it is this system, with regards to the sub woofers in the front door, IMO a 6x9 is not the ideal subwoofer. Yes, their are after market 6x9's subwoofer out on the market. I personally go with a 6.5 or even an 8 inch sub. Again, I am not familiar with the 10" enclosure, I would open up and check it out.

A great source for raw speaker drives:

Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components or The Madisound Speaker Store

jeffreybehr 09-29-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stJeepGC (Post 901248)
Greetings,
If it is this system, with regards to the sub woofers (sic) in the front door....:)

The bass/midrange drivers in the front doors should NEVER be called 'subwoofers'. Woofers they are, subwoofers (drivers and systems designed to reproduce the bottom octave [20 - 40Hz] and below) they are not.

My '13 limited came with the 10-speaker system, and its SW is its best driver. In my system, all but the rear-door drivers (and those are rewired) and the SW are replaced or disconnected they sounded so dreadful. See http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/insta...ted-63937.html for details.

Radknight 09-29-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radknight (Post 897065)
..., I'm thinking the two cheapest and easiest upgrades to quickly improve the sound would be .....to replace the front 6 x 9's with quality 6.5's or at the least higher quality 6x9's.

But then again I've heard that like a lot of stock systems, the JCG system is so tuned/calibrated to the stock 'Alpine' speakers so you must normalise/de-equalise the signal if you replace the stock speakers which means installing a processor or LOC.

Also, can anyone confirm where ALL the speakers are driven from? I've read that some are fed from the Amp and others from the Head Unit which makes perfect sense :rolleyes: