Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   Manual vs Auto (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/manual-vs-auto-55023.html)

andylcg 02-19-2013 09:57 AM

Manual vs Auto

I am going to make the change over from my WK2 to a Jk 4 door, I was wondering the pro's and con's of a manual vs auto?

spyder873 02-19-2013 10:07 AM

Re: Manual vs Auto

manuals are great on gas , cheaper to buy , can give you more control on the trail

suck in Traffic , will give you a left leg workout, are hard to start up hills

autos are - more expensive (to buy and fix), easier to drive , use slightly more gas , easier on the trail , are way more comfortable on the driver . oh and I almost forgot .... have a better resale value

andylcg 02-19-2013 01:36 PM

Thanks for your feed back

jerkylips 02-19-2013 02:40 PM

I think it has less to do with the vehicle and more to do with whether you enjoy driving a stick. My 98 wrangler was my last manual trans, and I miss it. It makes driving more interactive. I learned to drive on a manual and most of my cars when I was younger were manuals, so that's my comfort zone.

R/R scout 02-20-2013 02:20 AM

Agree with the others it's mostly a personal choice. There are a few Jeepers out there who search out the rare manual JK so resale is a bit of a non issue. in colorado a manual sells fast.

as for uphill starts, The Jeeps electronic baby sitters got your back with a little hill start assist.
it actually works pretty well, even when you don't want it to.

personally for me I chose a manual because no matter what happens ill be able to get it into one of 6 gears and limp my way home or I help... if you loose the auto trans... better have AAA

stashgto 02-20-2013 03:01 AM

I also grew up on manuals I actually learned in buses, and trucks before cars.
My 1st truck was a manual, and it will always hold a huge spot in my heart. There are a lot of good things about them, and I also agree with the right person using it they're more durable. One of my favorite things is the control you have over the vehicle just by feathering the gas, and using engine braking down hill ( although we have Hill Descent now). I also remember push starting mine once all by myself. It was a late seventies K/5 and it didn't start until the third try. yeah I was pretty tired lol
Sports cars, or classics have to be manual I don't get the same thrill from the automatics.
However if I did any real heavy traffic daily driving I'd go for the automatic. My GTO was my 1st car, and I used it to commute in NY. Stop roll up five ft.. stop roll up 1ft. it really sucks. At least in the Goat I could do a launch every once in a while to break up the monotony.
Have fun with your new J/K

Bill Miser 04-10-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andylcg (Post 762872)
I am going to make the change over from my WK2 to a Jk 4 door, I was wondering the pro's and con's of a manual vs auto?

If you get a Rubicon go with the new 5 speed automatic, with the 4:10 ratio. Non- Rubicon go with the automatic with the 3:73 ratio. The new 5 speed automatic is great for both highway and off highway use.:)

TheJeepSter 04-10-2013 09:53 PM

I love manual, but due to foot surgery (that didnt work) I gotta go auto. Found out when I bought a manual and had to trade it over the weekend:mad:
Dealer was cool about it though:thumbsup:

stashgto 04-10-2013 10:19 PM

That sucks, but at least the dealer wasn't an ass about it congrats.