Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/quadra-trac-ii-in-neutral-what-turns-55034.html)

SteveCG 02-19-2013 01:19 PM

Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
I am new at 4WD so need some BASIC education. When I put the JGC Quara-Trac-II in Neutral and I am flat towing what turns and what doesn't turn?

I'll take a stab at it.
1. All four wheels turn.
2. The rear differential turns
3. The rear drive shaft turns
4. The front drive shaft turns
5. The front differential turns
6. The transfer case is what goes into Neutral? Does it turn while in neutral?
7. The transmission does not turn
Edit add: I have been searching the web. It looks like that if I turn the switch to "Neutral" there is a signal sent to an encoder motor mounted on/in the transfer case that causes the transfer case to "electrically" disengage the gears and the chain so no power is being transferred to either axles etc. And that the only thing turning in the transfer case would be the input shaft?

Is this correct? Anything else?

I used a REMCO drive shaft disconnect on my F-150 and flat towed it. No mileage accumulated on the odometer so I kept track of the towed mileage so I could maintain the rear end according to its actual used mileage. I am assuming I am going to have to do the same with the JGC except I have both ends to maintain. Thanks, Steve

ColdCase 02-19-2013 11:22 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
In some vehicles the shaft turns but there is no oiling and things get kinda warm. The QTII keeps that from happening, but there is a difference between the 2014s and earlier models, I think. 2014s need to have the battery disconnected or it will drain even in neutral and off. There are a couple threads about with long discussions on flat towing.

a990dna 02-19-2013 11:51 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveCG (Post 763010)
I am new at 4WD so need some BASIC education. When I put the JGC Quara-Trac-II in Neutral and I am flat towing what turns and what doesn't turn?

I'll take a stab at it.
1. All four wheels turn.
2. The rear differential turns
3. The rear drive shaft turns
4. The front drive shaft turns
5. The front differential turns
6. The transfer case is what goes into Neutral? Does it turn while in neutral?
7. The transmission does not turn
Edit add: I have been searching the web. It looks like that if I turn the switch to "Neutral" there is a signal sent to an encoder motor mounted on/in the transfer case that causes the transfer case to "electrically" disengage the gears and the chain so no power is being transferred to either axles etc. And that the only thing turning in the transfer case would be the input shaft?

Is this correct? Anything else?

I used a REMCO drive shaft disconnect on my F-150 and flat towed it. No mileage accumulated on the odometer so I kept track of the towed mileage so I could maintain the rear end according to its actual used mileage. I am assuming I am going to have to do the same with the JGC except I have both ends to maintain. Thanks, Steve

I believe this is correct and used to select 4WD LOW ...

.

SteveCG 02-20-2013 11:53 AM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 763491)
In some vehicles the shaft turns but there is no oiling and things get kinda warm. The QTII keeps that from happening, but there is a difference between the 2014s and earlier models, I think. 2014s need to have the battery disconnected or it will drain even in neutral and off. There are a couple threads about with long discussions on flat towing.

Thanks for the input. I went looking for the flat towing threads and found one of them that was very helpful questioning the need to or not to battery disconnect and recording mileage. Both are issues so will have to stay tuned. Steve

1973Commando 02-20-2013 01:44 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 763491)
In some vehicles the shaft turns but there is no oiling and things get kinda warm. The QTII keeps that from happening, but there is a difference between the 2014s and earlier models, I think. 2014s need to have the battery disconnected or it will drain even in neutral and off. There are a couple threads about with long discussions on flat towing.

Since the ignition is turned off, there is no battery drain other than that is normal to the vehicle being turned off. As the other WK2'S the 2014 has no steering wheel lock. The 2014 Grand Cherokee Owner’s Manual mentions nothing of disconnecting the battery or any fuses or relays the way the GM's do.

From the 2014 Grand Cherokee Owner’s Manual:
Quote:

turn the
ignition switch to the OFF position.

SteveCG 02-20-2013 02:13 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1973Commando (Post 763896)
Since the ignition is turned off, there is no battery drain other than that is normal to the vehicle being turned off. As the other WK2'S the 2014 has no steering wheel lock. The 2014 Grand Cherokee Owner’s Manual mentions nothing of disconnecting the battery or any fuses or relays the way the GM's do.

From the 2014 Grand Cherokee Owner’s Manual:


Thank you for the information. I downloaded the 2014 GC owners manual (I won't receive the car until April) and on page 475 it says:

10. With the transmission and transfer case in NEUTRAL,
press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP
button until the engine turns off. Turning the engine
off will automatically place the transmission in
PARK.
11. Press the ENGINE STOP/START button again (without
pressing the brake pedal), if needed, to turn the
ignition switch to the OFF position.


So I agree those words are saying the ignition is in the off position while towing. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Nor was I able to find anything different in the “Users Guide” starting on page 112. Nor was I able to find that the battery should be disconnected. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Thanks, Steve

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

ColdCase 02-20-2013 02:20 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
I dunno, seems to affect 2013s, see the discussion in this thread (which I thinkSteve may have already found). Something about once the WK2 starts moving, the computer starts up and records mileage which in turn drains the battery, just saying to check it out... I have no personal experience. I would think it would take quite awhile to drain the battery, however.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2013-...ing-53197.html

1973Commando 02-20-2013 02:43 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 763928)
I dunno, seems to affect 2013s, see the discussion in this thread (which I thinkSteve may have already found). Something about once the WK2 starts moving, the computer starts up and records mileage which in turn drains the battery, just saying to check it out... I have no personal experience. I would think it would take quite awhile to drain the battery, however.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2013-...ing-53197.html

If the wheels turning turn on the computer and start to accumulate miles then the system is designed that way on purpose. If defeating this will not void the warranty or be against the law as far as odometer fraud or cause any problem with the drive train then and only then I would make an effort to defeat it.

As soon as May 15th I will be recording the Odometer reading before and after towing to verify any problem.
Blue Ox has never heard of any late model vehicle that recorded millage while the ignition was in the off position.
In the old days with analog odometers it was sometimes impossible without disconnecting the odometer to stop it from accumulating miles.

SteveCG 02-20-2013 02:55 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1973Commando (Post 763941)
If the wheels turning turn on the computer and start to accumulate miles then the system is designed that way on purpose. If defeating this will not void the warranty or be against the law as far as odometer fraud or cause any problem with the drive train then and only then I would make an effort to defeat it.

As soon as May 15th I will be recording the Odometer reading before and after towing to verify any problem.
Blue Ox has never heard of any late model vehicle that recorded millage while the ignition was in the off position.
In the old days with analog odometers it was sometimes impossible without disconnecting the odometer to stop it from accumulating miles.


As I said in my recent post to (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2013-...g-53197-2.html) "I am left with the conclusion that the 2014 GC is different from the 2013. Does this mean that the changes to the 2014 manual are correct? Can the computers turn on if the ignition is in the "off" position? Can movement of the wheels cause the computers to turn on if the wheels turn and the ignition is in the off position? Hopefully "forestar" and "galueck" will be able to give us that answer once they complete their towing tests." Steve

1973Commando 02-20-2013 03:13 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveCG (Post 763955)
As I said in my recent post to (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2013-...g-53197-2.html) "I am left with the conclusion that the 2014 GC is different from the 2013. Does this mean that the changes to the 2014 manual are correct? Can the computers turn on if the ignition is in the "off" position? Can movement of the wheels cause the computers to turn on if the wheels turn and the ignition is in the off position? Hopefully "forestar" and "galueck" will be able to give us that answer once they complete their towing tests." Steve

Can you send us a link to the location of a manual that shows "movement of the wheels cause the computers to turn on if the wheels turn and the ignition is in the off position"?

1973Commando 02-20-2013 03:45 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac II: in Neutral what turns?
 
Here are links to the latest 2012, 2013, and 2014 Owner's Manuals. Note the 2012 and 2014 models have the ignition turned to off while the 2013 does not and has you remove the battery cable.:wtf: I can only assume the 2013 online manual is wrong.

Adding to this, the 2011 manual also as 2013 has you removing the battery cable. So odd numbered Wk2's remove the Battery cable and even numbered Wk2's don't.:wtf:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community