Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Alpine INE-Z928HD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/alpine-ine-z928hd-55076.html)

Vince_K 02-20-2013 03:24 AM

Alpine INE-Z928HD

3 Attachment(s)
Alpine INE-Z928HD installed into a 2012 JGC. 8” screen fits so nicely it looks stock. I had big plans for transplanting my previous system into this truck, but space is pretty limited in the JGC. I saw some creative ways to use the spare area for amps that I might need to employ. But my old school amps are a bit larger than these fancy new full range class D amps all the kids have now. :-)

Minimal trimming across the top / inside of the bezel, but it’s not at all noticeable from the front. Nav has a nice available icon for us Jeepers. PAC harnesses for the steering wheel control and bypass module. The Bluetooth works great, Ipod interface is seamless, sound is nice. 4V outs. Parametric EQ. I installed a boyo reverse cam. The one thing I miss about Uconnect is voice dialing. That was a nice feature.

The larger these units get, you can’t help but start comparing it to a tablet. It is fast for a car audio dual din nav head unit… but it is not a surface / galaxy II / new gen Ipad.

1stJeepGC 02-20-2013 08:23 AM

Re: Alpine INE-Z928HD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince_K (Post 763568)
But my old school amps are a bit larger than these fancy new full range class D amps all the kids have now. :-)

The larger these units get, you can’t help but start comparing it to a tablet. It is fast for a car audio dual din nav head unit… but it is not a surface / galaxy II / new gen Ipad.

Greetings,

Looks great.

In my last system I had DLS Audio A/B amps running and like you i did all the space I can use. Also, the new Class D amps are better for the GC electrical system. I am still debating between a new in-dash unit or integrating a tablet. I like the fact with a tablet, when you update the GPS, they also update the GUI software features and new stuff. Whereas, the in-dash, you can updated the maps only and no features.

Have fun and best for now.:)

Break20 02-20-2013 09:39 AM

Looks great! Excellent job. I've always been a big alpine fan. Every system I've ever had has been alpine. I haven't messed around with car audio in quite some time though. Are you able to use pandora with this new system? If so how does it work?

Vince_K 02-20-2013 10:54 AM

Pandora is seamless. The phone automatically connects with the head unit. Start Pandora on the phone and the alpine unit takes over. All the same buttons and album display are on the big display. Just a hair slow but the sound quality is very good if you select that in the pandora options.

Silly how much money i used to spend in car audio. Still love it, but now what do i do with these monster macintosh amps or ads stuff or older zapco stuff. Anyone old enough to use ppi gear? Remember those guys with a trunk full of gear that looked real pretty? Try going to pick groceries or costco or home depot. Let alone camping hiking snowboarding that i do in the jgc. :-)

I hear rumors about mirroring that are very interesting. Imagine if your big 8 in ch screen mirrored your phone. Establish the connection and now see and control your phone on that. Nav, pandora, movies, internet radio, mp3. Still will have backup cams and standard radio. Maybe cd/dvd but maybe not. Would you buy something like that? I would.

eibyer 02-20-2013 12:22 PM

I like this! Thanks for posting. Got a part number for the PAC harness? With a setup like this I wouldn't have to install the uconnect module for bluetooth streaming.

RageOfFury 02-20-2013 08:35 PM

Woah that's huge! Looks nice! Thanks for the pics!

So you had to cut the plastic piece between the radio and the A/C right?

eibyer: PAC RP4-CH11

eibyer 02-21-2013 09:31 AM

Thanks Rage for the part number. I will have to save up for this and offset the cost a little bit by selling the 430n and lockpick.

voyagerx 02-21-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince_K (Post 763568)
Alpine INE-Z928HD installed into a 2012 JGC. 8” screen fits so nicely it looks stock. I had big plans for transplanting my previous system into this truck, but space is pretty limited in the JGC. I saw some creative ways to use the spare area for amps that I might need to employ. But my old school amps are a bit larger than these fancy new full range class D amps all the kids have now. :-)

Minimal trimming across the top / inside of the bezel, but it’s not at all noticeable from the front. Nav has a nice available icon for us Jeepers. PAC harnesses for the steering wheel control and bypass module. The Bluetooth works great, Ipod interface is seamless, sound is nice. 4V outs. Parametric EQ. I installed a boyo reverse cam. The one thing I miss about Uconnect is voice dialing. That was a nice feature.

Is this wider than standard double DIN radios? I've noticed most aftermarket radios in the WK2 have fairly large black plastic pieces on the sides of the radio from the mounting kit. Obviously you couldn't use the kit, and it looks like you have some form of recessed black trim ring around the sides, but it looks much smaller/thinner than the typical width of the mounting kit (and much better).

Any chance you can explain how it was mounted?

Thanks!

RageOfFury 02-21-2013 04:35 PM

Does it stick out much?

Would it be possible for a side picture as well as a picture of the motorized screen in it's tilted open position?

Thanks!!

Vince_K 02-22-2013 04:57 PM

There is a basic mounting bracket that sits behind the face. Nothing fancy. This unit has specific Alpine "perfect fit" mounting for a few specific vehicles... Jeep is not one of them. It is much bigger than standard double dins and I love that there arent large plastic pieces anywhere.

It sits completely flush, nothing sticks out.

Trimming was needed. I realized I said "bezel" in the first post incorrectly. Its the top of the AC module that needs trimming. Yes, the piece between the AC controls and radio was removed. clip, sand, paint. It is not a basic install, but at the same time, it isn't fiberglassing or creating or building anything new. Big difference.

I'll get those pictures for you Rage.

Its a cool unit and I just like how well it fits in the space. It looks like it rolled off the factory with it. Of course... now they do roll off the factory with 8" screens. :-)

RageOfFury 02-22-2013 05:36 PM

Thanks for the info and pictures. Also thanks for being a guinea pig and trying something like this. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the screen open and of what you trimmed to make it fit.

I'm leaning towards the 7" version, INE-W927HD. It's a big screen, but fits any standard double din opening.

flashman 02-23-2013 07:54 AM

Really nice job with the install. Are you going to upgrade your speakers as well?