Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   steering everything (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/steering-everything-5514.html)

carlitobregante 01-11-2010 11:27 PM

steering everything
 
Hello everyone , its my 1st post here on the forums and i would just like to know something about the trucks steering and traction on the road.


I just changed the

-steering box (had way to much play)
-the tie rod end that goes to both the left and right knuckle from the tube
-the drag link (to right knouckleand the left tie rod)
-pitman arm

all i have to change is the steering stabilizer .

after i changed all these parts , greased all the boots of the tie rods and greased the balljoints , i took the truck for a road test and still felt like there was abit of play in the wheel and the truck tends to jump to the left when i hit a bump at 120

what else should be changed so that i can control the truck and for the truck not have a mind of its own like its had since i got her 3 months ago.................. its alot better than when it had the finisht tie rods but still somethings missing and i doubt its just cause i need a new steering stabilizer shock

thanks guys

DJ BoNiOmArIo 01-12-2010 12:06 AM

Re: steering everything
 
Welcome to the forum at 120 anything will jerk lol

hopefully someone will chime in shortly

dhillon09 01-12-2010 01:54 AM

Re: steering everything
 
I'd go for eibach lowering springs, shocks and sways. The lower your truck sits the less drag it has to deal with which should make it a bit more stable at high speeds, and the firmer springs will surely get rid some of the crazy loose feeling after hitting bumps. I sometimes feel my ass is floating when I go over rough/weird terrain lol, and I feel thats due to my stock springs and swaybars, so upgrade those if you've already gone the distance and done so much to the steering.

The above, long with the upgraded stabilizer should make a pretty decent difference. And of course the obvious balanced, properly inflated and aligned tires, which im sure you have already looked into seeing the amount of work you put into the steering.

FlyinRyan 01-12-2010 02:03 AM

Re: steering everything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 130615)
I'd go for eibach lowering springs, shocks and sways. The lower your truck sits the less drag it has to deal with which should make it a bit more stable at high speeds, and the firmer springs will surely get rid some of the crazy loose feeling after hitting bumps. I sometimes feel my ass is floating when I go over rough/weird terrain lol, and I feel thats due to my stock springs and swaybars, so upgrade those if you've already gone the distance and done so much to the steering.

The above, long with the upgraded stabilizer should make a pretty decent difference

I run a 3" lift and I have no trouble changing lanes at 80+ mph....Height has only a minor role in the feel of it

It seems like he is posting from outside the USA, so "120" is probably referring to kph....so 120 would be more like 70 mph. Which sounds far more reasonable.

To the original poster....welcome to JeepGarage.

I'm pretty confident I know the answer to your problem. I had a VERY similiar problem with my lifted WJ after a trip to the dealer (I know, I know...)

They had replaced 2 tie rod ends under warranty and did an alignment afterwards. Somewhere along the lines, they must have taken out the front coils in doing the repairs, and because I have Coil Spring Spacers, its difficult to get everything seated correctly. My springs ended up not sitting properly in the lower spring perches, which made it have all sorts of weird side effects when driving down the road. MAKE SURE YOUR COILS ARE 100% SEATED CORRECTLY.

What you describe also sounds like a bit of an alignment issue. I would have a professional align it. I run a 3" lift and I run my toe specs at close to zero. The dealer was off by almost .40 degrees.

carlitobregante 01-12-2010 01:58 PM

Re: steering everything
 
To all ...... thanks for the input , and tips ....
sorry im from canada so ya its 120kph .lol

Ill be ordering a dampner shock within the week and once that on and replaced , ill get a professional wheel alignment, hopefully that will fix my situation . and yeah the suspension has to be changed by this summer so ill get on that next .


thanks guys

dhillon09 01-13-2010 11:39 PM

Re: steering everything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlitobregante (Post 130855)
To all ...... thanks for the input , and tips ....
sorry im from canada so ya its 120kph .lol

Ill be ordering a dampner shock within the week and once that on and replaced , ill get a professional wheel alignment, hopefully that will fix my situation . and yeah the suspension has to be changed by this summer so ill get on that next .


thanks guys

Oh, Jeez, I'm metric too (from BC) but I run a mph cluster in my WJ.

120KPH isn't that fast, so I would definitely do what the above poster said. the reason why your springs can act weird after being up on a lift is the pressure of gravity keeps the springs seated well, when you take the gravity away, if there's anything wrong with your springs or even if they're not aftermarket they'll shift.


I take my WJ upto 100-110 MPH daily on the highway and that's well above what you're doing. The only shaking I ever notice is when braking. Do you have any more info on this weird shaking feeling?



BTW, to the above poster, you have a 3 inch lift on your street jeep? throw some pictures up!!

FlyinRyan 01-14-2010 12:02 PM

Re: steering everything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 131948)
Oh, Jeez, I'm metric too (from BC) but I run a mph cluster in my WJ.

120KPH isn't that fast, so I would definitely do what the above poster said. the reason why your springs can act weird after being up on a lift is the pressure of gravity keeps the springs seated well, when you take the gravity away, if there's anything wrong with your springs or even if they're not aftermarket they'll shift.


I take my WJ upto 100-110 MPH daily on the highway and that's well above what you're doing. The only shaking I ever notice is when braking. Do you have any more info on this weird shaking feeling?



BTW, to the above poster, you have a 3 inch lift on your street jeep? throw some pictures up!!

See member rides...The Sleepy 4.7.......


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community