Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   URGENT ... how the F*CK do you remove a tire on these things (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/urgent-how-the-f-ck-do-you-remove-a-tire-on-these-things-55174.html)

morty346 02-21-2013 05:14 PM

URGENT ... how the F*CK do you remove a tire on these things

I have a 2011 overland gc 2WD v6

I am on vacation in the mountains skiing (wv)

i have a HORRIBLE METAL ON METAL noise coming from SOMEWHERE under the jeep - sounds like its in the back area, either left or right wheel - dont want to keep moving the vehicle incase its something serious. (it makes the noise in NETURAL, does the drive shaft move in NETURAL?)
so its sitting in the chalets parking spot.

I think its probably just a rock in the rotor area - so i want to take a fing tire off to see if i see anything more serious - I took the lug nuts off and the fu*ker wont come off - is there a locking nut under the cap? something else I have to do to get this stupid wheel off?

Glad I wanst stranded in the middle of the road and couldnt get this wheel off
(I was pulling very hard, jeep was about ready to rock off the jack?

I extremely appreciate help - I have NO cell phone reception

spyder873 02-21-2013 05:18 PM

Re: URGENT ... how the F*CK do you remove a tire on these things

while its on the jack and secure , sit on your butt and kick the bottom of the tire in toward the jeep .

sometimes they oxidize on , Alu to steel

RageOfFury 02-21-2013 05:22 PM

Give the tire a few kicks with your foot. If that doesn't work, put the lugs back on, but just hand snug on, lower the wheel back down, give it a few kicks, then jack it up, remove the lugs and see if the wheel pops off.

If you have access to a jack stand, I'd recommend using that as a back up to the Jeep jack. Just in case you know.

The Evil Twin 02-21-2013 05:23 PM

^^Yup. Sounds like the aluminum wheel is seized to the hub or rotor. My wifes VW is like that every time I rotate the tires. An option that I have used is to lower the jack a little at a time so that some weight of the car is on that wheel. The force is just enough to break the bond.

spyder873 02-21-2013 05:24 PM

Oh and after you get it off . rub some anti-seize on the back of the rim where it touches the rotor and you will not have this problem again

The Evil Twin 02-21-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder873 (Post 764761)
Oh and after you get it off . rub some anti-seize on the back of the rim where it touches the rotor and you will not have this problem again

Yessir! Works like a charm. Not 100% on hub centric wheels, though. Stoopid German car :rolleyes:

morty346 02-21-2013 06:05 PM

so... got the snowshoe mechanic to come up - he hooked his exhaust pipe to a shop vac tube and placed it in the spokes - ..... a bit confused at this point

gave his engine a few revs and eventually everything started to work -
he said it looked like it was the e brake (which is part of those brakes structure) frozen
in there

no need to take tire off... but wtf

The Evil Twin 02-21-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morty346 (Post 764790)
so... got the snowshoe mechanic to come up - he hooked his exhaust pipe to a shop vac tube and placed it in the spokes - ..... a bit confused at this point

gave his engine a few revs and eventually everything started to work -
he said it looked like it was the e brake (which is part of those brakes structure) frozen
in there

no need to take tire off... but wtf

Well, didn't think about that! The heat from his exhaust melted the ice on your E brake! I have to remember that one!
So far as your wheels not coming off, I would hit the dealer if you are still under warranty. If not, you should pull 1 at a time off at home using the above advice.